No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Bowl  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Mdina Bowl
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »
Here's another of my 'finds' today.  It's the first bit of Mdina I've bought, apart from my little paperweight, and I had to phone Peter to ask his advice before I decided to take the plunge, but I think it's quite nice, although I haven't managed to take pictures which really do it justice! :-\ ::)  The turquoisey-blue stripes really glow deep amber in sunlight!  8)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Mdina_bowl.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Mdina_bowl_inside.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Mdina_bowl_base.jpg

It is a little bit 'wonky' and has some flecks in it, including quite a large piece of frit in the base, but I understand that's quite usual with Mdina.  It has a polished pontil, and is signed Mdina on the base, but I'm quite pround of myself for having recognised it before I picked it up, even though it isn't my 'usual' thing!  ;D 

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Mdina_bowl_sig.jpg

Pete said the ones with a polished pontil were earlier.  Anyone any idea when this might have been made? 

Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Mdina Bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
  It has a polished pontil, .....

Pete said the ones with a polished pontil were earlier.  Anyone any idea when this might have been made? 

OK, it's now been explained to me that I misunderstood and it's NOT a polished pontil, it's just a polished base, and quite normal!  ::)

Just ignore me!  (Oh, you were anyway?  :( ) It's only that I'm venturing into areas hitherto unkown to me  :-[
Leni

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »
Just ignore me!  (Oh, you were anyway?  :(

Not possible, Leni  ;D  :hug:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:13:07 AM »
Just ignore me!  (Oh, you were anyway?  :(

Not possible, Leni  ;D  :hug:
:-[  :-[  :-[   

Well, I have now been told that this 'bubbly' yellow is in fact early!  I'm just totally new to Mdina ::)

Just carry on not ignoring me folks! :D ;)
Leni

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »
Hi Leni, I've checked through Mark Hill's book 'Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass' and although I can't find anything exactly the same as your bowl I would agree with your suggestion that the colour is early - 1971-72.  There is a bowl in Mark's book on page 29 at the start of the section called 'Mdina Shapes 1968-1972' which, although a different shape to yours the colouring and stripes are very similar, this is described as 'A Mdina Glass bowl with an inverted lip and flat polished base signed 'Mdina', designed by Michael Harris c1971'.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 01:06:18 PM »
Gosh!  thanks, Pip :D  I don't think I'm going to be buying Mark Hill's book (seeing as I have just the one Mdina bowl and a couple of paperweights ::) ) so I'm really grateful to you for looking it up for me!  :-*
Leni

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 01:52:39 PM »
No problem, anytime Leni.  Be warned though, I started off with just a bowl and a couple of paperweights and now I've got loads of pieces, there's something just so lovely and chunky about Mdina glass that makes it irresistable IMO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand