No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: JOHN HOBBS - perfume bottle, marked 'R'  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
JOHN HOBBS - perfume bottle, marked 'R'
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
This item has been uploaded for John Hobbs, and was photographed at Gaydon. 

This perfume bottle has a creamy yellow base colour and is approx 5" high to the top of the stopper.  This blue stopper has very slight vertical ribbing.  To the bottom of one side there is a clear 'R' mark enclosed in a circle, impressed into the body of the bottle.

John would be pleased to receive any information on this item as he's had it for quite some while with nothing turning up so far.  :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7042

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7043

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7041

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7040

Thank you.  :)

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: JOHN HOBBS - perfume bottle, marked 'R'
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »
Marking in that way is very unusual, almost certainly a studio. No ideas.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
I'd better get in before this query has its fifth birthday!

This wonderful perfume bottle is the work of Richard Cements of Franklin (near Hobart), Tasmania, Australia.

His work is well documented. You can see a couple of his older pieces, together with close-ups of the insignia on Steve Lynn's website.

A couple of years ago, the ABC-TV show Collectors had an item about an avid collector of Richard's work. The segment is now on YouTube and includes some clips of Richard at work. It is as interesting for the collector herself as for the glass!

Richard Clements himself has an extensive website. His daughter Jemma Clements is following in her father's footsteps. She also has a brand new website.

Trevor

PS. Is five years (less twelve days) the record for solving a query?
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
I cant thank you all enough that is one thats been getting to me for many years ... a lot more than five... i still have it and its one of my favourite pieces . I am actually sitting here with a grin ;D rather than a Gin  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU sorry but i am not sorry for shouting , all i have left now is to find a piece off Maurice Marinot glass . cheers Max . I will bring it to the national on Sunday in case anyone wants to look , it is a Stonker ,
Small but beautiful . A special thank you to Trevor . :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
you don't have a Marinot John  :o  I'm surprised.  I thought you definitely would have one.  There was an exhibition on in one of the museums in Cardiff that John posted somewhere, but I've never been able to find any pictures of the pieces.  I've borrowed a few books from the library this month (sadly not Victor Arwas Art deco to Art Nouveau glass which they can't get me) but there are  quite a few pieces pictured - a nice stoppered cut bottle would do me ;D
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
No M unfortunately Hitlers boys bombed the Marinot works before i got there but i do have a very nice Eugene Rousseau vase that is shown in the Sothebys guide to glass and a Paul Daum tribute to Marinot vase . :-\
I have had the glass collecting sickness for many years now tho  , so ive got no money . ;D just glass and glass books . :'(

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »
I have some photos of M M's glass from the museum but I am not allowed to make them publicly available. Email me if you want a link to a 'private album'.
The photos are not great, low light levels did not help - a couple of the light bulbs were broken in the cabinet. There are twenty items, the smallest (perfume bottle) is about 4 or 5 inches - use the photo of the whole cabinet to judge relative size.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »
John can you upload pics of the Rousseau? would love to see.  I haven't got the Sotheby's guide -
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 11:28:32 AM »
Apparently Richard Clements was born in London and his first glass works was called Argyle in Sidney the clip on youtube is well worth a look . Sounds like Dame Edna doing the voiceover . ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand