No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19c green wine glass?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline paul edge

• Members
19c green wine glass?
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:00:38 PM »
HI,does anyone know if it is 19c? its 4 1/2" high with a polished pontil.Thanks for your time

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ming

• Members
Re: 19c green wine glass?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »
Paul,

In one of book l came across your wine glass is same shape of a 1910-1920 amethyst wine glass. Pontil mark do not tell you the age because most reproduction glass also have them.
Here is how to tell is your wine glass early 19th c or 1920 reproduction;
Closer examination of the underside of the feet reveals that later copy has the pontil mark indented in relation to the foot( Concave), which also has no visble marks of the tools. If you  hold the glass upside down and look at the foot tilted against the light. You can see how perfect it is.
On the genuine glass the foot is much flatter, the pontil mark is more pronounced and there are irregulararities left by the glassmarker's tools.

Do you like to see what old wine glass ? I can take some photo of my early 19th c glass to show you what l meant.

Good luck. Let me know the result of your finding?

Ming
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paul edge

• Members
Re: 19c green wine glass?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:57:04 PM »
Hi Ming
Thanks for your time and effort, i've put the glass on ebay afew days ago with 3 pics item number 230192822972 please take a look and see what you think. I will change listing if you think its a copy, and yes please send me photos. pe004i3655@blueyonder.co.uk.Thanks again
paul

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand