No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cased Pelton Vase = Peloton  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Re: Cased Pelton Vase = Peloton
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 11:07:56 PM »
If I go, would you like for me to bid on that lot?  Don't mind just selling you the Basket, if I win it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 05:11:27 AM »
WOW!!!!!! :clap:
What a fantastic collection of art glass!!!!! Thank you so much for bringing this auction to our attention, Nancy.
There were several peloton items there, all beautiful. The ruby lamp with threads (133) was particularly unusual.
I have around 35 peloton items in my collection, with a few more on the way, including the yellow gourd vase that Leni bought for me. Peloton is pretty rare, it has taken me 12 years of non-stop searching to get the amount I currently have (would have had a few more if I hadn't been outbid on a number of other ones).
Peloton was patented by Wilhelm Kralik on the 25th October 1880 whilst he was in the employ of the Harrach glassworks. The style was copied by other factories in Bohemia & also England. The original Harrach pieces tended to feature threads on a clear crystal ground. Some were also embellished with enamelled floral designs.
None of it seems to be marked (not that I've found, anyway) so it is pretty hard to identify. There are a lot of variations on peloton. It can involve the threads being on a number of different glass grounds; clear, clear coloured, cased opaque in white & colours such as pink, mauve, yellow, blue. Some has a satin finish & some is glossy. The threads may be standing proud of the surface creating a wiry texture, whilst on other examples the threads are marvered right in & have a soft blurry appearance. Usually peloton items are small & fancy, but I have recently acquired a very large & heavy urn vase (13 inches tall) in thick walled crystal with aqua blue threads.
This is just a great collection of art glass, stunning. Good luck with your bidding in the auction, & compliments on your good taste in liking peloton. It really is special! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
If I go, would you like for me to bid on that lot?  Don't mind just selling you the Basket, if I win it.
How very sweet of you, Nancy!  :-*  I have no idea how much the lot might fetch, have you?  And if so, how much the basket alone would be worth? 
I think it's all a bit too complicated!  But thank you very much for the thought!  :hug:
Leni

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
Marinka - I too saw #133 and thought it was unusual too.  Guess I'm really going to try and make that auction.  It's about a 6 hour drive from where I live, hopefully the weather will cooperate since it will be in the middle of winter!

Leni - That's just how I am!  :angel:  I like to share in good finds. 

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »
Nancy, you are indeed a very kind lady  :angel:  :-*

If you could give me an idea of how much the lot is expected to fetch I might have some idea of whether it's practical or not!  Do they put reserves or expected prices on things?
Leni

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »
Leni, I've been to several Woody Auctions in the past.  Very rarely do they ever put reserves on items.  I've also bought multiples in a lot such as the one that you are looking at.  Just from my experience, when they have more than one item in a lot, they don't know what they have and/or just want to get it sold.  I've won bids as low as $75 and high end $125 with 4 or 6 pieces to a lot.  I really will bid on this and if I can snag it for $125 or under you can expect to only pay for 25% of what I get it for, plus a percentage of the 10 percent premium they charge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand