No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A fun way to compose pictures  (Read 1121 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
A fun way to compose pictures
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:58:52 PM »
This is just sort of a fun way to compose pictures that I am playing with for our club's internet site. 

KING GLASS Co. made two soap dishes, No. 308 BRACKET SOAP and No. 309 SLAB SOAP.  I am still looking to find a vaseline version of the SLAB soap.  They were made in clear, blue, amber and canary/vaseline and are shown with their original catalog illustrations.  The length of the slab is just a little more than the bracket dish.  The slab  is 5.75 inches left-to-right, the bracket is 5.25 inches left to right.  The bracket soap is 3.75" at the highest point.  Both dishes have three raised bars in the bottom to keep the soap above the water that would drip off a wet bar of soap.  I don't think either of these were ever used, as there is no damage to either one and not even any soap residue!  They are very ornate in their pressed pattern for such a utility item.  These were made in the late 1880's.

http://www.vaselineglass.org/kingsoaplg.jpg

ADAMS and Co. made two sizes of gypsy pots.  The larger version is a covered sugar, the smaller is a mustard pot.  the mustard lid has a slot for a spoon.  These were also made in clear, which I am still seeking.  The lids are easily more than 1/2 the value, as the lides were easily dropped.  Please notice that the handle for the mustard is just a little tab of glass, which most likely could easily slip out of little fingers.  The bail handles are original on the ones that have them.  These were made in the late 1880's.  The mustard pots are frequently found in collections of toothpick holders, minus the lids.  There have been reproductions of these pots, but from different molds that vary slightly and the pressing is not as detailed.  I have not found any of the reproductions to ever have a lid. 

http://www.vaselineglass.org/adamsad.jpg

If this is something you want to see more of, please let me know, as I have other pieces that I can also match up to original catalog illustrations.

Dave (aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: A fun way to compose pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »
It is useful to have such comparisons, but better to keep the images large enough so that detail is clear and can be studied.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »
I have done some of these with a small inset photo of the catalog illustration, too, on more complex pieces.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 05:55:04 PM »
What a great idea, I really like seeing the catalogue image and the photo of the real thing like this. Thanks Dave. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand