No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pyrex Designer? (split from Re: Who are the important British Designers...)  (Read 807 times)

Offline Pinky

• Members
Sorry to be so dim - I wondered who designed the pyrex bowl with the fattish rim and little bunned feet and the measuring jugs. They're the first things that come to mind when I think of important domestic glass - my grandparents had them, my parents and now my family - I've seen them in heaps of other kitchen cupboards - in some piled in heaps of various sizes. Mixing bowls and measuring jugs important design I'm thinking because earlier on ready-prepared food wasn't nearly as common - hence the vessels featuring very heavily in everyday life - the sort of items you couldn't do without. Are they a 20th century design?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Thre is a special Jobling's article on Pyrex c1958 in the Glass-Study and it gives the impression that the Sales department were largely responsible. Also they( UK) take the credit for thinning down Opalware to become domestic Tableware

Implication is that designs were used from US but adjusted at Jobling as needed for their market.

and this chappie:
Milner Gray, Esq., R.D.I., P.P.S.I.A. Director, Design Research Unit

However there was a PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
E. Orange
and this one possibly...

GEORGE B. RITCHIE, Assistant Designer in his second year with Joblings. Mixed batch of likes: indoor gardening, painting, breeding Siamese cats, whisky, the theatre, the highlands.

And then a PRODUCT DESIGN DEPARTMENT
J. D. Cochrane, Head of Dept
Miss Doreen Watson, secretary and general dogsbody (She could help)

all text images and data courtesy of the Glass-study.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand