No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: protecting the silvered side of the mirror  (Read 1070 times)

Offline nanz

• Members
protecting the silvered side of the mirror
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
Hi…I have been creating patterns by sandblasting the back side (the silvered side) of the mirror …to make looking mirrors .the process seems to weaken the silvered side and the mirror starts to blacken faster .Is there any kind of transparent coat I could give the mirror to add strength to it so the erosion is slowed down or stoped.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: protecting the silvered side of the mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »
Hello Nanz,

I'd have thought any type of clear lacquer used to protect metallic finishes would be suitable. There are automotive lacquers used to protect both paint finishes and alloy wheels.  There are also lacquers used to stop brass and copper oxidising 'Incralac' is a name which springs to mind. It is very hard wearing and is often used in marine applications. It should be fine for protecting the back of the mirror.

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nanz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:03:12 AM »
thanks that was really quick and i ordered some incralac for myself .this place is so informative more than u can imagine ....i have yet another question about antiquing new mirrors.Have read a lot of articals on line but they dont really explane things very well.......can u help me here . ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:26:32 AM »
There are people that supply glass made from blown cylinders, that gives the irregularity. Silvering can also be done using old style materials. You can of course buy antique type mirror of the shelf too.

Offline nanz

• Members
antiquing mirror
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:46:15 AM »
Would like to know the technique of antiquing new mirrors is there any one who can help? ::)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:50:22 AM »
What exactly do you mean? The appearance of 'antique' mirrors is a characteristic of uneven glass and the silvering material and results in an optical effect that cannot be faked. You could of course spray some nicotine colouring in edges and corners but that will only achieve an improperly cleaned effect.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »
There was a bit of a fashion for 'antiquing' or 'distressing' mirrors a few years ago, as shown on various home makeover TV shows, etc. If memory serves all they used to do was sand off bits of the silvering, etc. As Frank points out though, this can not give a truly antique look and the end results were far from attractive in many cases.

It might be interesting to experiment with corrosives on the back paint & silvering to see what type of effects could be achieved, though of course you'd have to be very careful to determine which metal has been used to silver the back and take all relevant safety precautions.

Steven

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Offline glassman 1770

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 18th century English glass
    • australia
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
although its a few years ago thought i might add something as i'm a mirror maker as well as glass repairer and Jacobite glass expert. mirror paint is not readily available instead i use a high build epoxy to protect the silver, antiquing mass produced mirror involves using acid to destroy the surface and repainting, better to do it when silvering then it will look old but not be stuffed.
the broken edge from sandblasting just gives a better way for moisture to tarnish the silver so edge creep is faster, by sealing it you wet the blasting and are changing its appearance. the lower the humidity the longer it will last.
the process is simple but there are only 4 silverers left in Australia so the knowledge is rare, the formulas are closely guarded secrets that can now be found on the net,  for mirror silvering and advise  in Australia
  www.craneglass.com.au 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand