No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: True GLOW IN THE DARK GLASS (even without a UV light!)  (Read 7629 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
True GLOW IN THE DARK GLASS (even without a UV light!)
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:39:43 PM »
Ok, we have all seen the verbiage that the vaseline glass is so WOW that it "glows in the dark". Now, generally speaking, it only glows when there is a UV light source on it -- until now!

I commissioned these to be made. when you have two, they are OCTOPI (not octopuses!).
The glass artist is Jack Loranger at www.hotglass.cc

They are made of both vaseline glass and phosphorus. The one on the left had a phosphorus powder put on the outer surface of the vaseline glass. The one on the right has phosphorus glass chips that are embedded/mixed in with the vaseline glass. The top photo, shows in normal room lighting. Middle photo shows under a UV blacklight. After 'charging up' the phosphorus under the blacklight for a few minutes, the bottom photo was taken, with the blacklight OFF. They will continue to glow and are visible glowing in a black room for at least 5 - 6 hours. Height on the one on the right is 2 3/4" and 4 3/4" on the widest spread of the tentacles.
www.vaselineglass.org/octopi.jpg
If you can come up with an idea, Loranger can generally make it. I have over 20 pieces of glass from him. A pic can be seen at  http://www.vaselineglass.org/loranger17.jpg
All are vaseline glass except the top row, 2nd from left. That piece (blue rim, blue and purple feathering) is all phosphorus glass, with no uranium. It glows a bright blue when charged up with a UV light.

Dave Peterson
(aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: True GLOW IN THE DARK GLASS (even without a UV light!)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:14:09 AM »
They're cute, thank you for showing us Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:29 AM »
They're lovely.  :D  What made you choose octopi?  Do you have a secret octopus obsession you haven't told us about Dave?  ;) :D

I used some of this powder when I did some glass fusing recently - except I didn't have a very good teacher and my glass wasn't heated to the right temperature.  Consequently, the glow powder didn't really fuse into the glass and was kind of loose on the surface when it came out of the kiln.  I'm not sure that's good for one's health, having it blowing about, so I had to bin the whole thing.   >:(

A good use for phosphorous powder (didn't know it was phosphorous actually) would be to use some of it for glass door knobs.  ^-^  Think of it: No more nightlights for children and no more walking into the wall at night when you're trying to find the bathroom...   :D

I am not a man

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »
Not sure it's actually phosphorus as such, that isn't very stable, kind of goes in for spontaneous combustion - think napalm bomb. It could be a phosphorus compound or a phosphorescent compound that's nothing to do with phosphorus.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:56:01 AM »
It really is phosphorous or P2O5 (phosphorus pentoxide) and it lowers the melting temperature = less fuel. It is also used as a brightener and to opalise glass and commonly found in tableware and bottles. Its main disdantage is that exposed to the elements it causes phosphoric acid to form. Some optical glasses uses in lenses contain 60% phosphorous oxide. It is also used in glass used in semiconductors where special treatments are needed to remove the phosphorus from the surface to prevent corrosion. Glass is a significant factor in environmental contamination by phosphorus. And of course, phosphor is phosphorescent although not the most widely used phosphorescent.

The glass is sometimes described as Phosphate glass. Other forms of phosphorus are in use these days too.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »
It's that extra o that makes the difference or even the O5 Phosphorus is so reactive that it is not found as a free element in nature

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »
I have written to the glassblower to find out the exact chemical that he used.  I will post it as soon as I find out.
dave

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »
OK, the glassmaker got back to me on what he uses.  This is the powder that continues to glow after the lights go out.  I was wrong.  not phosphorus.

It is/was:  Strontium Aluminate powder

Don't know what it is, but I like it.
Dave

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:19 PM »
A google search suggests Strontium Aluminate powder is used for many things, including toys.

The wikipedia article about it seems to be reasonable and says that its green glow is brightest but the blue is the longest glow time.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand