No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Textured candleholder/vase - Finlandia look-alike.  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Textured candleholder/vase - Finlandia look-alike.
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
This one has me a little perplexed :huh:.  It looks similar to a Timo Sarpaneva Finlandia vase, but is flint not grey.  Also, it doubles as a candleholder if turned the other way.  Approx. 5" high.
Any help would be much appreciated.
TIA :)

Anne E.B

Offline blackenpot

• Members
Re: Textured candleholder/vase - Finlandia look-alike.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
Look carefully at the bottom, I'm sure  It's American.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »
Hi - thanks for that.  I've looked at the base (candle holder way) but there are no markings to indicate maker/origin.   Its more likely to be a candleholder I think, than a vase.  The hole has 4 vertical ridges for the candle to be pushed down into.  Both the top and the base rim have a textured surface and its been made in a 2 part mould.  Since you mentioned the USA possibility, I did have a vase once with a similar textured surface made by E.O.Brody.  Did they also make candleholders too I wonder???
Anne E.B

Offline blackenpot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:51 PM »
In my work dealing with old things and antiques I have seen this object a few times. Next time it pops up I shall have a closer look at it.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:13:22 PM »
Thank you for your interest and help.
Anne E.B

Offline blackenpot

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »
Hello again Anne, now theres one popped up at work again and it's a green one. It has a stamp in the bottom of the candlestick end with USA. I shall take a photo tomorrow and shall post it to you.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 03:12:29 PM »
Thank you so much.  Look forward to seeing it.  I've had another look using a lens, but can't spot anything.
Anne E.B

Offline blackenpot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »
Hi again, here's the photos I promised, sorry that the stamp at the bottom of the candlestick is not so clear, but I'm sure you can see something. As I mentioned earlier I see this object often.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »
Great!  I increased the definition of your image and can see letters at the top which look like they could be MADE, and three letters at the bottom which looks to be USA :), although I'm sure you can see it much more clearly in the 'flesh'.  That helps a great deal to place it.   Now that I know what I'm looking for, I had another look at mine.  Definately something there, but very indistinct and illegible.

Now to find out who...  ;D 

I much prefer your green version its so much nicer.

A big thank you.  Hope I can return the help  :)
Anne E.B

Offline blackenpot

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 06:42:24 AM »
Pleased that I could help, this green one however is not so good because of some striping in the glass, If I find a better object I can contact you again and maybe sent it to you. If you find out anymore information of it's origin please let me know. I've allways wondered if this can be depression glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand