No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me ID this swirl paperweight  (Read 1545 times)

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
Please help me ID this swirl paperweight
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:36:29 AM »
Hello,

Any help with this paperweight would be appreicated. Nice quality, with mutlcoloured swirl. The canes in the middle seem well constructed - central cane has a precise tiny blue star in the middle. Base has a finely polished pontil - like many perthshire paperweights I have seen - and the rest of the base looks similar too. No date or manufacturer cane is evident. I thought Scottish or Murano. Size is 2.75" diameter approx, dome profile again like perthshire. Spirals are drawn in underneath but not right to the centre - leaving a clear circle of glass about 3/4" diameter. With a UV pen its quite pinkish - like there's a fairly decent lead content in it

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: Please help me ID this swirl paperweight
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:41:24 AM »
This is a Perthshire PP21. They made them in the mid 70s and they were not signed.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:50:55 AM »
Hi - thank you for your super swift reply and attribution, its much appreciated.

Richard

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:52:45 AM »
You're welcome! I just happened to be on when you posted.  :)
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:46:31 AM »
With a UV pen its quite pinkish - like there's a fairly decent lead content in it.
UV results, especially for paperweights, are a part-time interest of mine. I think the "pinkish" UV colour under the longwave (as with UV pens) may be due to use of selenium rather than lead. Can you provide any references for "pinkish" UV reaction being due to a "lead content"? I'm not saying you are wrong, and I'm not saying I am right, it's just something I'd like to get more info on.
KevinH

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:18:36 AM »
Hi KevH - I have very little knowledge in this area. What i have noticed is that when I shine a UV pen on soda glass such as a whitefriars textured vase then there is a yellow hue. When I look at something like a whitefriars paperweight or even a lead crystal piece of cullet then there is virually no yellow - just a pinky type reaction. I thought this was due to lead content but it could be selenium (I'm not a chemist). I know that Whitefriars used a high lead content in their paperweights and this UV type test shows their paperweights to glow a much different colour to other makers. I also know that this type of test is a good one for spotting fake Ysart paperweights - which look very dull. I don't have a light box to conduct this experiment with - just a security marker pen with a little UV torch in the end!! I didn't know that selenium was in flint coloured glass - I thought it was used as an alternative to gold to make ruby glass - by heating it up twice ("turning" it) and that otherwise it would be an amber colour.

Cheers,

Richard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand