No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian? Turquoise Vase - Like Moss Agate ID = Mdina  (Read 968 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Scandinavian? Turquoise Vase - Like Moss Agate ID = Mdina
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »
I have had this piece for several years. It is unsigned. There is age appropriate wear on the underside. I am not sure of the age, but would guess it to be at least 30 years old based on the age wear and style, but that is at best a semi-educated guess. I am in the US and have collected several types of glass for many years, and this piece is quite unique to my collection. I have not really seen another piece like it. I have seen similar shapes, but not the style of the glass itself. The first image is the most accurate for colors. It is 6.25 inches tall and 4.75 inches wide. The walls of the vase are approx .25 inches thick. The entire vase is cased in clear glass. It is very well executed. Any ideas??  Thanks in advance for any input.  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Scandinavian? Turquoise Vase - Like Moss Agate Any Info would Help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »
It's a piece of Mdina from Malta, and post 1972, as I don't think this is a Michael Harris design. Perhaps more info later when I can look in my book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Scandinavian? Turquoise Vase - Like Moss Agate ID = Mdina
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
I sold this vase a year or two ago, also unmarked and assumed made by Mdina. Similar in colour and also in it's angular style. I think it was about 4 or 5 inches tall.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 07:36:25 AM »
The top one is definitely Mdina and possibly late 1970s or newer. I have seen this shape in the Earthtones ranges, which was introduced by Eric Dobson in the 1970s, post Michael Harris. Some of the shapes were made for a long time and the blue with silver chloride for ever!

The bottom one, I don't know. I would expect yellowy bits, not browny bits. Later Mdina is hard to date because the current owners didn't want to be involved in producing a book, and this shape doesn't appear in my book, which covers 1968-1972 in detail and merely touches on everything else.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Christine, thank you so much for taking the time to look that up for me. I really appreciate it.  We have never had a piece of Mdina before, and really thought it was a Scandinavian piece the whole time we have owned it. We bought it at an antique show.  Thanks again, Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
There is a similar vase on ebay item no 280333107540  also unsigned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand