No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moser Oroplastic decoration?  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
Moser Oroplastic decoration?
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:23:54 AM »
I have a six inch beer stein in cobalt blue which seems to have a Moser type "Oroplastic" decoration. I don't know of any other glass manufacturers that decorated in this style...

any insight would be appreciated!  :huh:

/Blair

American and European Art Glass, Antique to Contemporary
http://www.glasshound.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Moser Oroplastic decoration?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
Ask Moser - www.moser.cz,
as far as I know Walther in Germany had produced oroplastic as well.

Jindrich

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »
And Val St. Lambert where the technique originated.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
Hi

quite a few bohemian glass makers copied the style

the range of Moser oroplastique patterns is really quite limited and I don't recognise this one

To confuse things Goldberg supposedly did their own oroplatique decoration on Moser blanks

-Ivo - I did not know VSL originated it -do you have any pictures of their version?

cheers

Mike

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:49:23 AM »
sorry no pictures of the 19th ct. VSL version but here is a recent one:

Offline Versacrum

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »
The excellent dealer Mark West showed me a vase some years ago that was clearly not Moser but was incredibly reminiscent of Oroplastic / Fipop pieces.   He told me it was Val St. Lambert, designed by Len Ledru c. 1905-1908.   It is sometimes called in recent catalogues “Cortege de Musiciens”.  It seems highly likely it was an inspiration for Leo Moser and the many other companies who took up the oroplastic style in the 20’s and 30’s.   By chance I found an identical vase to Mark’s, indeed catalogued as Moser, in a German auction house, so I bought it, but am technically inept so I can’t offer a picture here.    
However at the moment there is one on Uwe Wolf’s site so anyone interested can go to glaswolf.de and search (German: “suche” on his menu) under “St. Louis”.  
Uwe has it as St. Louis 1930: it’s in an apparently quite pale pink/red colourway (unless it’s the photo), and it looks to me to be, or to be based on, the Ledru VSL design. My version, like Mark’s, is in a brown-purple glass, cut and  picked out in yellowy- green, with the figural design in gold on a green background.   Though I am almost entirely a Bohemian addict, I find it a better made object than most of the Moser Fipop range.  
Some of the other companies who used a similar, but much simplified, technique were Goldberg, Rasche and Walther.  And there are some wonderfully “customized” versions of Moser Fipop made by Theodore Bienert, who enhanced the figures and created colourful marbleised backgrounds  to imitate the antique- his pieces are signed “Thebi”.    The last one of these I bought, with an elephant and lion design based on a Moser Animor vase, is on one of those artnet type sites: you can find it by googling Theodore Bienert.      

Offline Versacrum

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
The above seemed to treat Uwe's listing a touch cavalierly, my apologies- his version is a totally different colourway, without (apparently) picked-out detail, but it is of best quality and could indeed be from well into the 1930's, just as Moser Oroplastic was made almost continuously into the 30's and beyond.  This vase is now sold, but is still up on the website.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:10:29 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the board. Here are some links to the items you've mentioned:

Uwe Wolf's pink vase, which he listed as 1930s St Louis, but which you suggest may be Len Ledru for VSL.

Theodore Bienert design of a Moser Fipop piece, with lions and elephants.

Are you able to take photographs of your piece at all? If so, you can email it to me by clicking on the email icon (which looks like a small envelope) under my username in the box to the left of this post. If you can email an image to me, I can add it to your original post.

The main problem people have with posting images is making the file size small enough to fit the board. There is a good tutorial here.

Offline Versacrum

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
Cathy, most grateful for your kind help and for adding the photo for me.  I promise to read the tutorial...

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
I know this is an older thread but I came across it on the net as i just got one myself. This model is called 'Viennois' and the dcor, as mentioned, 'Cortge des Musiciens', designed by Lon Ledru and dating to 1905-1908. What is interesting about the gilt version, is that the base colour at the time, was called  'jaune absinthe' or absinthe yellow, today best described as a pistachio  green. The pink/reddish vase is just another version but also by VSL, from the same period. The 70ies edition of the 'Dance de Flore' sries often gets confused with pieces from the earlier period, but they were just gilt on a satin finish border, not acid cut in relief and therefor not as sharp as in detail.

Bruxelles, ma belle ... ❤

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand