No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed hobnail bowl enhanced by cutting - maker?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Pressed hobnail bowl enhanced by cutting - maker?
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »
Pressed hobnail bowl.  The original design included the hobnail rim and the flower stems and centres.  The petals have all been added by wheel cutting (I think), and the hobnails have all been cross-hatched.

The base is similar to a Tudor rose, but with 6 segments, not 5.  The only match to this that I know is on pieces thought to be by Bagley, such as the fish scale plate.

Any ideas, please?  Any chance it might be a Bagley Crystal Company piece from the 1910s?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Pressed hobnail bowl enhanced by cutting - maker?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
The bowl looks much like the glass in the Innovation line made by McKee Glass c. 1920. McKee often used wheel cut flowers on pressed glass blanks. Many of their Innovation pieces have the cane (hobnail) pattern. I have not seen the bowl with this specific rim, but I suspect it is McKee. McKee was in Pennsylvania, USA (Jeanette).
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:43:26 PM »
By the way, if it is McKee, the leaves were part of the blank.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:21:55 AM »
Anita

Many thanks for your help.  I googled McKee and found a few similar pieces, including one with an almost identical rim.   I think you've got it!

So it made it across the Atlantic and survived the best part of 100 years with just some scratches on the inside.  It's very pretty.  I think it's a keeper. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:07:49 AM »
They are true cross-over pieces of glass, so are mentioned in both American cut glass and pressed glass books. I have had a few that were so brilliant that they looked completely like cut glass. I usually don't care for pressed glass, but I do like the brighter Innovation pieces. The ones like yours with the cane pattern are the prettiest, IMO.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand