No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: another Uranium one need an ID for a jug this time..webb maybe??  (Read 718 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi there
Also have this gorgeous jug, paid just £1.75 from a little junk shop i know. Beautiful shape to it. first impressions where Whitefriars or Webb but have been unable to find anything as of yet.
Made from bright green uranium which glows really brightly under UV/blacklight, I think its mould blown?? with an applied handle, slight internal lobing to the lower bulbous base giving it an optical effect. The bulbous bit curves downwards at the top before going into the ribbed neck (hope that makes sense). The base has a ground out and polished pontil (what i call dimple/whitefriars style). Plenty of wear to the base. The rim is not completely perfectly round and a bit wobbly, although not damaged or ground, obviously from where it was made
many thanks
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: another Uranium one need an ID for a jug this time..webb maybe??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »
Blown jugs (of any sort) are hard to ID but I would say yours is much more likely Continental Europe than Webb. Most of the blow-moulded uranium jugs I come across have a moulded base, i.e., no pontil mark, but I too have recently have found a jug with blown horizontal ribs,vertical optical ribs and a polished pontil. Today, I found a cruet with similar features, but not I suspect, from the shade of green, made at the same factory.

Your jug is lovely but not from one of the high quality English makers. I know it's hand made but I suspect it was still from perhaps a Czechoslovakian factory turning out large numbers of glassware items for export in the 1930s/40s. A pontil mark is only indicative of the way something was made, not where it was made; a polished pontil mark shows the factory cared about decent finishing.

Here are a couple of quick snaps (these are 3-4 MB pix resized)

(See the difference in the glow compared to your vases?)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand