No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old English expert required...  (Read 935 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Old English expert required...
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
Please tell me I'm right,going on the colour,shape,weight and inverted baluster stem with tear is this around 1695/7.It has loads of wear and faint traces of simple gilding around the rim,if it is a sweetmeat bowl of that time then I got a bargain at 50 pence!!!!,Keith

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Old English expert required...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »
I'm not an old English expert - but I would place this one in the 19th century, not the 17th.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:48:24 AM »
Hi sorry :cry: but i have to agree the glass is not a late 17th early 18thc example , the construction of the stem is wrong with the platform at the juction top and bottom, the foot is also too flat ,I would agree that it is 19thc , probably early to middle, still not bad for 50p though  :hiclp:

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »
Hi Keith

As has already partially been mentioned; the form, construction and metal (glass material) is wrong for a late 17th/early 18th C piece; added to which a conical folded foot would be expected. I can't quite make out the pontil area of this glass; but what I think I can see is a small central 'swirl' and not a rough or polished pontil. That being the case; then more like C1900.

Trev.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »
Ok I give in,I must admit the foot was the part that never seemed right,could it have been part of that historical revival that went on around that time,'historismus' or something?50 pence wasn't to much then,Keith.

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:34:24 PM »
Hi Keith

Balusters have been a feature of drinking glass stems from the 17th C onwards in one form or another. I would think that the 19th C glasses with this stem type may have been inspired by earlier forms; but that's about it. I don't believe they are considered to be English baluster period revival or historismus, but rather a lighter reinterpretation of an earlier form. When the detail is considered; they are quite far off the earlier pieces. Historismus refers to the German glass revivals of around the date of your glass; though in parallel at the time there was also the revivals by the likes of Salviati in Venice and Powell in England of façon de Venise and other forms. I wouldn't be too despondent; for 50p is looks like a good find to me. Keep up the search though; and when you find an 18th C baluster glass give me a shout :thup:

Trev.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
Will do,ta,Keith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum