No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two blue vases help with age and id please  (Read 671 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Two blue vases help with age and id please
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:07:01 PM »
Hello all a friend has asked for me to post these two vases with the hope of achieving an id and age of manufacture.  One is larger than the other.  The larger ones stem is tilted.  The gold painting looks to be crudely done and in places the paintbrush has touched the glass where it so obviously shouldn't have done.  Both the bases are very similar in that the are inverted in the centre and have a broken pontil not rough to touch but not smooth either.  It then looks to have been sanded or crudely etched almost like a childs scribble.  Air bubbles present in both.  One looks to have quite a few bubbles in the glass but it is just dust where she has had them stored in the basement.  My friend was bought these as a gift from someone else and apparently from an antiques shop.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
Re: Two blue vases help with age and id please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
Good evening all or good morning depending where you all are.  I have been looking for something even remotely familiar on these vases for the last few days and apart from learning the stem is called spiral trail I unfortunately have got nowhere.  I have to return these on Saturday.  Does anyone recognise the sand/etched scribble on the bases and able to give a rough idea of age please  :)  I appreciate they have only been on the board for a few days slap me if you wish.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
slap! for suggesting a coursely ground over pontil could be construed as a sig.  This style is quite course, and Lafiore of Mallorca might be to blame - but not sure if the applied decoration is from there, too, or that the whole thing really comes from Tadjikistan.
These are quite recent - as the bottom reveals.
 :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »
Haha Ivo I love slaps although I didn't realise I had suggested a signature but I can see how maybe it was misconstrued as that  ;) Thank you I don't think my friend is going to be overly pleased but some news is better than none or not as this case maybe.
Margi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand