No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech? Vase - Maker and Designer if known! Help Please.  (Read 1834 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Czech? Vase - Maker and Designer if known! Help Please.
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »
Picked up at a local antique mall today for a nice price. Marked as Italian, which did not surprise me....

It seems to me in Jindrich's pictures of a Czech glass exhibition I remember looking at, there was a piece of this style in the images.

10" High, 5 inches wide neat the bottom, 2.5 inches deep. Colors are all ribbs which flow nicely into the body of the vase. Flat polished bottom.

Any help on the house that produced it, and the designer if known, would be greatly appreciated.

1st pic without a flash, 2nd with.

TIA for any help.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Czech? Vase - Maker and Designer if known! Help Please.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:04:59 AM »
Looks like it might be Mstistov glassworks, from the 'Rhapsody' range, designed by Frantisek Zemek in 1960 (earlier pieces in the range designed 1956 had applied smooth prunts of colour rather than straps). That precise piece isn't illustrated, but the straps, colours and height are right.

As always, wait for someone (Jindrich?) to confirm or deny as there may have been lookalikes. :)

(ref: High Sklo Lo Sklo, Mark Hill, Mark Hill Publishing 2008, ISBN 0-9552865-3-0)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:09:16 AM »
Hi Kathy, Thanks for the quick info.

Do you know how long the line was produced?  Would this likely be a piece of 60's glass, or did production  run for an extended period? 

Thanks, Craig

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 02:15:57 AM »
Unfortunately, all the book says is that it was an enormously successful range - and from that I'd assume it would have had a longish run, but how long? Hopefully someone will come along to clarify.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »
Thanks again, I was very surprised to see it over here. I really do not find this type of glass out and about. All of the Czech glass I have from any period has come off of ebay. It is a long way from home. It is quite different from any other pieces I have.

Craig

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:02:49 AM »
Craig:

I'm not sure how long the 'Rhapsody' line was made, but I think it was much more limited in the time it was produced than the Zelezny Brod pieces, which were still being put out last year. You're right, I think, that there's not much of this glass (Czech hot worked) in the States. Most antique stores that I walk into up here in BC will have at least one Czech piece, most likely a Chribska, often a Borske SKlo and a Skrdlovice,  but I don't think I've seen any in Bellingham, Mount Vernon or Seattle, just over the border. I have bought the odd piece on eBay from the States. The last piece I bought, a 'Harmony' vase, was advertised as being brought back from Czechoslovakia by a friend. The exception is that I've seen quite a few Harrtil pieces from the the States. I suppose it all boils down to what the import company thinks will sell.  The 'Harmony,' 'Rhapsody,' and 'Pizzicato' are both striking and subtle. I hope you enjoy it. Quite different for you, is it not?

BTW, what's a nice price in Seattle?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 06:30:55 AM »
Hi David, I have some mid century Czech, although I have the greatest interest in earlier Czech glass but I also a some stuff with mid century Italian, Czech and Scandinavian.   A good  price was $30. Seemed pretty good for this piece.... It is executed extremely well, and is quite different from any other pieces I have.... In many ways I look to collect for diversity.....  Do you think I did OK?

I also meant to say earlier that all the Czech glass I have from this period are from ebay.... and that is about a half a dozen really nice pieces....

Craig

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:16:42 AM »
Craig:

I think we share eclectic tastes, although we each might have a different emphasis. If I got that piece for $30 I would be one very happy Canadian. Next time I'm in Seattle I'm going to have look beyond Vetri and the Traver Gallery.

Well done.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
Similar, but not exactly the same as the vase at the top of this thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25231.0.html

30 Dollars seems like a good price to me too.

John

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
John,
There is an image of three very similar shaped vases further down in that thread. It is strikingly like the middle piece in the group.

David,
I went through an antique mall that is probably 30,000 sq ft, maybe larger and they had this piece of glass. they also had a ca 1900 Kralik Chipped ice in bad colors that I passed on. Amazingly, I find an occasional piece of early Czech glass and a couple of Decor era Kraliks there, but I have never found a piece from this era in Seattle. I do have to be honest and say that the OH spotted it in the case before I did..... but she got here first....  ;)

I am going to go back today because I researched a vase I took a picture of and realized that it is a large, (probably 11 inches tall, 7 wide, 6 deep) Barbini aquarium vase and it was pretty cheap...  not my style of Italian glass, but good for selling.

Thanks to both for your help.

I am still curious, if anyone (Jindrich are you out there?) can provide the information, as to the years of production on this piece.

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand