No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Green Plate - Red and white splashed effect. Sklo?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Glass Green Plate - Red and white splashed effect. Sklo?
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »
Very unusual with dispersed colours of red and white on a green plate.  No Idea where to begin with this one.  I assumed it was Murano then changed my mind as the base is very similar to the Sklo design. There is polished rim on the base that measures 0.5cm.  The dia. of the plate is 19.4cm and the hight is 3.2cm. The plate looks cased and is quite heavy.  Can anyone help me identify this piece.  I have checked on various sites and unable to find similarities.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Glass Green Plate - Red and white splashed effect. Sklo?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:00:19 AM »
Just for reference, there's no such thing as a base of the sklo design. Sklo is the Czech word for glass, what folks usually mean by Sklo here on the board is output from one of the Sklo Union group factories - all of which made pressed glass. So to refer to an item as sklo or having a sklo base doesn't mean anything really.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:35 AM »
Thanks! for that.  I would of never of known.    ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:29:38 AM »
Is it pressed glass?

Offline IAM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »
I didnt know what Sklo meant until a few weeks ago  ;D 5 I have two books on the subject & do not recognise it from them.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:16:06 AM »
I am not sure whether it is pressed.  It looks cased to me and the base is a concaved pontil polished measuring 5.5cm dia.  The rim, polished too.  Measuring 0.5cm in width.  The depth of the concave pontil is approx. 0.3cm.  I hope this will be helpful.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »
I can't see a pontil mark and 5.5 cm is also rather large (it's over a quarter of the diameter of the item!). Are you sure there is a pontil mark and that you are not just talking about the indent for the base rim? The ribs indicate to me that this piece was pressed, but I could be wrong.

Here is a copy of something I wrote for another discussion board
A pontil mark is found when a piece of glass has been attached to a pontil iron or punty for some form of finishing treatment. The item in question is heated and attached to the iron with a blob of molten glass and then it might be shaped at the top or have some form of molten glass decoration applied, anything that requires the item to be worked while it is hot. When this work is finished, the item is cracked off the rod and cooled. This cracking off leaves a raised sharp scar. The scar may be left as is (fairly common on very old pieces or new pieces pretending to be old); it may be heated to smooth out the sharpness, which still leaves a raised lump; it may be ground down to leave a concave indent; or it might be hidden by applying a fresh blob of glass and stamping a pattern. The ground-out indent can vary in quality from irregular and matte to perfectly circular and shiny, depending on how much more work has taken place. These sorts of marks are usually found on blown items, whether free blown or mould blown.

It is very unusual but not unknown to see a ground top rim and any sort of pontil mark. A ground top rim means the item was attached to the punty at the top for final hot finishing (adding stems or bases, for example) or was just cracked straight off the blowing iron. Rims that have been cracked off may also be fire polished rather than ground.

Other types of pontil mark removal are indicated by ground base rims (on pressed items) or or perfectly flat and shiny bases, often but not always on cut items.

The size and finishing of a pontil mark vary, but usually (but not always with pieces from smaller studios) the better the finishing, the better the quality of the item. Finishing adds costs.

Sometimes pontil marks themselves may have what looks like small scars. These occur when there was insufficient base glass to achieve a perfect pontil but the quality of the item was good enough for sale.

Opaque or semi-opaque Victorian era items may have black marks in the pontil mark. This is residue from the punty iron and because it didn't show, it was considered OK.

Rings and ripples are consequences of either blow molding or cooling or both.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »
From the information you have just given, I am convinced that it is pressed rather than blown now.  I am no expert on glass, so I welcome your comments.  I try to provide as much info. as possible and may not describe the item in the way one would want.  The indent does measure 5.5cm and the base of this is smooth, which would suggest what you have already stated.  Thanks for that Christine.  As previously mentioned before can anyone please assist in identify this piece please.  Once again, many thanks! Your comments and info. has been taken on board. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand