No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SQUARE COLOURED GLASS BOWL. Mdina?  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
SQUARE COLOURED GLASS BOWL. Mdina?
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:22:26 AM »
This is a beautiful looking bowl.  It has Mdina etched under the base and what I believed to be the numbers 99 but not sure if this will be clearly shown on the pictures.  The sides measure approx. 8.5cm X 8.5cm.  Thickness 0.7cm.  The base is square and measures 9.5cm X 9.5cm.  The whole bowl is textured and frosty looking.  Even though there is marking on the base can anyone confirm that this particular piece is definitely Mdina and the age would be most appreciated.  Many thanks!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: SQUARE COLOURED GLASS BOWL. Mdina?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:41:21 AM »
To my knowledge Mdina doesn't make fused glass on blown glass. Can we have a close of of the signature please. Stand away from it and zoom in or use the macro setting on your camera

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:53:19 AM »
To my knowledge Mdina doesn't make fused glass on blown glass.

I was surprised to find out they did as well. I have one here which is signed, dedicated, dated and stickered. The date is 01-10-01.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:42:33 AM »
As Mdina are still making glass, there are bound to be pieces that are unknown to collectors - as we tend to love the early stuff. 

Check out the Artius website as they have a piece that is fused but in the form of a Cezanne - slightly more advanced than the piece in the OP. 

http://www.artiusglass.co.uk/id19.html

suzy x

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
As per your request Christine, please find attached pic.  I have used the macro but still useless at taking pictures.   :24:.   Have you got a picture of yours Ivo?

I have looked at your suggested site suzi.  I see what you mean but find the site not very user friendly.

Thanks to you all for your concerns and interest.  I am also not convinced that it is Mdina.  Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
I was told recently that when you go over to the Mdina studio, it has lots of this type of thing now (cheaper/lighter for tourists to bring back i spose).
Also large sheet work for companies?? and not so much of the "normal" stuff most collectors are use to, i suppose they have to earn money like everyone else and have to move to wherever pays the bills.
 Although this is second hand information and could be wrong, i havent personally been over well not since i was 8 years old anyway, so maybe somebody could set that straight for me

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
Found this, signed like the dish in OP.  Have never seen paperweights like this by Mdina.  It's a whopper at 9" (23cm) tall.  Still no closer to knowing if the dish is genuine or not and this one doesn't help as it's new to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290397932839

Suzy x

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »
 >:D

They do make fused glass, of this more simple style as well as the incredibly complex "reproductions" of paintings.
Try having a peek at their own website.

http://mdinaglass.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MG&Category_Code=FUSIONCOLL

http://mdinaglass.net/index.htm

Artius Glass is a shop, not an information site, Otis
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the Mdina link Sue - in all my trawling (and you know I do a LOT) I've not come across it, bizarre!

Will spend a lovely afternoon 'educating' myself.

Suzy xxx

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »
Thanks to you all that have given me positive leads.  I have looked at the suggested sites especially the Mdina site with great interest.  The paperweight signature viewed does have similarities to this signature.  I must say regardless of the originator it is a wonderful piece.  Smooth on the inside and textured on the back.  Any further info. you can obtain, please can you let me know.   Many thanks for you help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand