No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: request please for id on base marks 'of lw 108'  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
request please for id on base marks 'of lw 108'
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
sorry, but I'm probably out of my depth with this one, and wud appreciate some help please.      Can't post a pic. because the piece is still in the charity shop, and being held for me till tomorrow.         Description is:    conical flint vase 220/230mm tall - top opening of about 110/120mm - with pronounced 'rings' around the cone - about 4 or 5 in number.    Base is circular, mostly mid green, a good 10 - 12mm thick - about 80 - 90mm wide, and with a large very professionally ground/polished pontil mark.   And here come the bit I don't know............scratched into the center of the pontil area is the following:    "o f"  (then underneath)  "lw 108".   
The base wear is considerable  -  enough scratches to make me think half a century perhaps, and my thoughts (for what they're worth) was Scandinavian.        Wud appreciate any suggestions or help please, and thanks for looking.     Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: request please for id on base marks 'of lw 108'
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
get it, then post a picture. Of is Orrefors, probably.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »
thanks Ivo  -  it had been my intention to buy the piece tomorrow anyway  -  provided the charity shop didn't want too high a price.     Hopefully you will see pics tomorrow.     thanks your help.       cheers         Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »
what can I say  -  I'm gutted and very disappointed at getting so close to buying this piece.           Oxfam have done their research, and they tell me this is from Vicki Lindstrom for Orrefors, and dates, I'm told, to 1932  -  some of his pieces can make an 'arm and a leg' apparently.    They are going to put a price of £500 on it to start with, and see how it goes  -  which is at least one nought too many for me.          Of course I shouldn't begrudge them a valuable find, and I hope they make the money  -  its just that the obsessional collector in me occasionally surfaces, and when I don't acquire the piece I get depressed and then can't concentrate on other things.     argggggh!!   Paul S.       P.S.   I cud probably take a pic. of the piece if anyone was interested in seeing what I didn't get.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
Yes please take a photo (if it is still in the local shop), I for one am now intrigued.

Or offer to post photos of it here and maybe they could find out a little extra information about it, might help with their sale.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:27 PM »
I'll take the pics. tomorrow lunchtime John - and hopefully post in the evening.    Can't see anyone buying it before then.    cheers     Paul S.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:05:28 PM »
I don't think anyone will buy it full stop. If you're going to spend that sort of money there are other, more reliable sources than Oxfam. They should learn that as a charity shop, you should charge charity shop prices and not behave like the high street dealer they're not.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »
agreed Ivo, I dont begrudge charities earning money but sometimes they are just ridiculous, i went in the oxfam near me about 6 months back and they have a IITTALA TIMO SARPANEVA FESTIVO CANDLESTICK (single ring size) which is damaged small chip off of the base, for £48 !!! neadless to say its still in there.
I think it was Nigel Benson that said to me you have to leave a little something in it for the next person.
michelle

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »
as promised here are the pics. of this OXFAM Lindstrom piece  -  and apologies in advance for the lack of usual quality.    Too many fluorescent lights and shadows to be really good, but hope you can get the gist of the piece.   I went into the shop having walked for some time and the camera lens was of course cold  -  so I spent the next five minutes trying to 'de-mist' the lens.   If you can't make out the letters/Nos., I have already quoted them above.    As of today they want Sterling 450.   See what you think.         Paul S.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
Hi:  It's LU 108 (still Vicke Lindstrand) and in the 1932 catalogue. Great advice from Ivo. An interesting piece, but 500 pounds?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand