No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White green murano / flygsfors coquille style bowl ID please  (Read 1680 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
White green murano / flygsfors coquille style bowl ID please
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi, I'm a novice glass collector. I live in the Netherlands, and I'm starting out by taking home relatively cheap items to find out where my real passion is. Scandinavian seems to strike a chord so far, but I do buy other things as well - one of which is this murano/flygsfors style bowl I'm trying to find out more about.

It looks a bit murano style, and the colour scheme reminds me very much of Flygsfors coquille, but it is unsigned. I've seen a similar piece on an auction site recently, described as murano, but I'm not sure that's correct. I've seen another one online somewhere as murano, but though it was the same shape and colour, that one had a pattern of  lighter and darker patches in the green interior. Might be the original design? And this the copycat by some other factory?

I do know the approximate sale date of this bowl, though, because of the retailer's label (see photo). The complete label would read "Hoyng Jungerhans, Eindhoven - Tilburg", a known shop around here in Eindhoven in that deals in relatively fancy tableware. They opened the store in Eindhoven apparently in 1975, and they dropped the Jungerhans part of their name in the eighties, so that would put the sale date in the late seventies (the same time this sort of bowl would still have been fashionable). They do not sell secondhand goods. The scratches at the base confirm some age, so I don't think it's recent.

Any ideas? I welcome all comments, and don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, I'm here to learn from my mistakes.

Since I'm unsure of the origin, I posted this to the general glass forum, if you think it should be moved or crossposted, please tell me. Thanks,

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
Re: White green murano / flygsfors coquille style bowl ID please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
I forgot the sizes: it's 18 cm diameter, 7 cm high, and 4 cm diameter at the base.

And I've just after I made my post seen something in very similar colours and style online that was described as Boussu. The Belgian factory of Boussu (1960 to 1986 in this particular incarnation) would certainly fit the date and the probability of being a supplier for the story I mentioned - but I can't seem to find any information about the Boussu factory to confirm it.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
The ashtray looks like it is made in Murano. The form of the handle-like structures and the colors remind me of things made by Fratelli Toso. It is hard to know for sure without a label.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:33:27 PM »
!00% Murano. The date is a nice detail - it excludes Flygsfors which stopped 1965.

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:37:22 AM »
I'm happy by your replies to know that the design at least is Murano, and that looks more like the other bowl I saw (and cannot find). The Murano factories might have thought to simply put a green layer in the middle without further enhancing it was a bit plain...

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=9676805

But I wouldn't put it past certain European factories to simply copy an earlier Murano design and make their own version of it...

This advert on marktplaats seems to indicate that this seller at least believes that Boussu blatantly copied some earlier Murano designs in this period. While this seller's prices are too much for my taste, he seems to know his stuff in general. The colours are very much the same. There probably are pieces like this floating around that were labeled Boussu.

http://antiek-kunst.marktplaats.nl/antiek-woonaccessoires/335804705-boussu-glass-schaal-groen-wit-jaren-60.html

Thanks very much for thinking with me so far,

Astrid

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Try this: go to Marktplaats, click "see all auctions" and see an amazing 400 items, some of which are correctly identified, most are not, and all are overpriced. Things attributed to Boussu, Scailmont, Braine-le-Comte and VSL may just be speculation, or names dropping. 

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
I understand...

My thinking was: why would someone put Boussu (apparenlty not highly collected, relatively low prices) on a bowl when Murano is a better alternative and would fetch probably a better price? I felt it had to be that he knew it was Boussu, for instance because he had sold labeled ones before.

But as you indicate, speculating on what sellers say is dangerous and not a reliable source of information.

I'll put it down in my collection as murano for now, but make a note somewhere that Boussu could be an alternative. If I'm ever selling it, I'll be cautious in attribution.

Thanks very much for your help!

Astrid

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
The green is quite a stunning colour! And I am  :mrgreen: with envy.

Carolyn

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:21:55 AM »
The green is quite a stunning colour! And I am  :mrgreen: with envy.

Carolyn

You're very kind. It reminds me of my trip to Venice in the seventies when I was a kid, and didn't have the money to buy more ornate pieces like this  :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand