No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tip: Under-lighting Your Glass Items  (Read 477 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Tip: Under-lighting Your Glass Items
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:09:18 AM »
Just thought I would post this here, as I like to under-light (or some call it UP-LIGHTING) my glass items.  All I use for them is a little plastic base thing that has 4 different LED lights in it that change colors automatically.  Top of this base has a mirrored top.  We can buy these bases here for under $10.00.  These are battery operated, and have a on/off switch.

These bases are the same type of ones that are used for those Crystal Block that have designs etched in them -- EXCEPT I use the base for my real glass stuff here.  (**see the square glass cube posted here) with a detachable black base.

Just thought I would forward this on.  Looks so nice to have your glass sitting on these bases catching the different colors of light, and with you house-lights turned down.  Creates a nice relaxing mood, and displays your glass for all the reasons why we love it - the flow, and reflections (etc).

This can be down with any of your glass be it colored, clear, carnival glass or whatever...and a cheap way to display your glass as the Glass casts reflections of the colors too.

Enjoy.... :thup:  Set the mood -- watching your glass items *Dance in different light colors*.  

Great way to show off your glass !!
(now where is the Wine?)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Tip: Under-lighting Your Glass Items
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:00:45 AM »
It must be lovely to sit in a room and have glass sparkling all around you  :)

But to be honest, I think that black base takes away from the beauty of the glass piece.  I also don't like the idea of the different color lighting shining through the glass.  I'd rather the glass show its true colors.  Then again, to each his own  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:17:55 AM »
you can get them in a single colour from Ikea for next to nothing - it just takes up a socket. Works particularly fine on paperweights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 05:56:38 AM »
The photos in this thread were taken with light underneath the vase: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27991.msg152390.html#msg152390

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand