No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cranbury glass dish and saucer?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
Cranbury glass dish and saucer?
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »
Hi, have acquired this delicate dish and saucer or side dish not sure which is the right description. It has a star pattern on the base of both pieces the edge of the dish is wavey. further towards the base of the dish it has a raised pattern around the bowl base. It stands 2,5 inches high and 5.5 inches dia across the wavey edge.
Anyhelp on maker and date would be great.
Many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Cranbury glass dish and saucer?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »
sorry - unable to give you an attribution - just a few thoughts after pondering on these pieces.    It looks as though the decoration is coarse machine threading, as opposed to being part of a mould design.   I say that as it appears I can see the end of the thread in one picture.   The other point may just be my eyesight, but looks almost as though the threading may be slightly greenish  -  have you put the torch on them.    Quit a number of Victorian pieces of Cranberry coloured glass had rigaree (or applied glass elements) in U. glass.   As to age, can you detect any noticeable wear?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
sorry  :-[    think I was trying to say  'possibly' machine threading  -  I have end of the week 'itis'

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »
Hi paul s, many thanks for your input the thread indeed does have a beginning and winds round the circumference of the last quarter of the bowl. There is no discernible light emitted when using the back light. The actual colour of the thread is a golden amber colour .There is some wear on the base and under the magnifying glass it has been polished and ground.
Many thanks again

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:13:03 PM »
shame about the threading, would have been an added bonus had it glowed.   As you are probably aware, these fancy Cranberry pieces are very common, and unless an exact match can be found in the books, then you are probably on a hiding to nothing.   Your threading is coarse, although that in itself is not uncommon - and having wandered through Manley and Gulliver, similar examples with thick threading are evident.   Bowls with eight way vertical crimps are legion, although the wide rimmed dish seems less so.  Nothing wrong with the colour either I don't think.  From the little I know, pieces like this which generally date to about c1880, have on the base either a snapped pontil mark or a ground out and polished mark.    Much less commonly you might see a raspberry prunt covering the scar, apparently.   However, your piece has a star, which appears to be very unusual.    Whether this might indicate continental or States origin, I haven't a clue, but seems very uncommon for standard Cranberry from the U.K. Anyone else care to comment on that point. :) 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Anne  -  your assistance please :huh:  Why has that odd word reappeared  -  I know I didn't type it - think I had said something like 'coarse'.  thanks Paul s.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
o my gawd  -  it's happened again.   What am I doing wrong please. :cry:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 07:46:48 AM »
having missed a night's sleep over this mystery, I now know what is happening.   I can't type the word in question, because the error will happen again - but if you reverse the following.........'esraoc' - you have the word that is being misunderstood by the server.   It's amusing to see why, of course (forgive the pun px) - but you can now at least see were the word 'posterior' is coming from ;D.    I shall have to avoid this word in future.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »
Words that might be 'rude' or swear words are automatically changed by the board's software, I had the same problem with the word p_i_s_s_e_d some time ago.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
hello John  -  well I can at least undestand why your word was thrown out ;D  -  but my word............ :huh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand