No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Jobling Roses vase  (Read 1389 times)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Uranium Jobling Roses vase
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »
Hello
I received this vase this morning that I have been after for a long time.
I know it was made by Jobling but I have never seen any of the original catalogue pictures of the vase and wondered if anyone could help please?
Also am I right in thinking that it was also available in opalescent?
Thanks in advance!
Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Uranium Jobling Roses vase
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
I have the picture from the 1934 catalogue, as reproduced in Baker & Crowe, I can send you a scan of the page if you like. The pattern no. for this vase was 11200 & it was described as '2-Handled Rose Pattern vase'. With trade prices of 10/6 each for colours or 15/- each for jade it was one of the more expensive items shown.

According to the original catalogue the vase was available in the usual standard colours, i.e. green, blue, pink, amber and also the more expensive jade glass (Uranium moonstone). As you mention, opalescent examples were also produced even though they're not mentioned in the original colour list - I am aware of at least two opalique examples, though I don't yet have one in my collection :'(. In fact, the art London deco dealer 'Beverley' used to show an opalique version of this pattern in their ads in early to mid 90s Millers Collectables books.

Thus far I haven't seen a single Jade example (I'm still looking...) It's also possible there are some clear flint examples out there, but I've never seen one.

Here are some other examples from my collection showing the usual range of standard colours available:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/2679692842/in/set-72157622557471351/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4666672552/in/set-72157622557471351/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4666674044/in/set-72157622557471351/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4422539105/in/set-72157622557471351/

Another thing to note about this vase is that they almost invariably have chipping around the foot - in fact I no longer consider such chipping damage as every example I've seen bar one (my blue one) has this problem.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
Hi Steven
Yes please if you could send me a pic of the catalogue photo!
That's good to know that there are Opalique examples out there as it gives us hope! Just like I hold out hope for a rare Walther Petri centrepiece lol!
I love your collection of these vases,the blue is amazing! Personally green then amber are my favourites!
Do you have the green Jobling lamp base with the large stylised fish on? I have had a double light fitting made for mine and I know a dealer that apparently has the original "paper" shade that goes with it?
Best Nige

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:13:05 PM »
No problem, it'll be next week before I can send you the scan though as I'm away from home at the moment. I do have an example of the B2 fish vase/ lampbase, mine is the version with the taller neck http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4666583941/in/set-72157622557471351/ & I have a couple of B1 lambton vases too http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4441112040/in/set-72157622557471351/, one of which comes with a light fitting, but it appears to be a later or aftermarket fitting as it's a different design from the chrome cap shown in the catalogues. I don't have a shade for it.

I'd love to see your B2 lit-up, I'm sure it'll look fantastic. The original shades are very hard to find; they are shown in the 1937 catalogue and described as 'oiled silk' and were apparently in a matching colour to the base, I've never seen one in the flesh though - if you could get a picture of the one you mentioned, I'd be interested to see it. Btw, does your Fish lampbase have a reg. no. on? I know Jobling registered the design, but every example I've seen has been unmarked.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
Hi Steven
Mine is exactly like yours with the taller neck and also I could not find a registration mark or number.
Oiled silk sounds familiar? I remember being shown one of the shades and it was decorated with a type of flower pattern looked very Autumnal?
I think they had 2 sizes of the shade in their stock.I will contact them and see about it.
Yes when I get the fitting sorted I will post some photos.
I do also have a blue frosted lady with the grapes and she has the flowers down the back which I was told is the earlier example?
Best Nige

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand