No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass from China  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Glass from China
« on: September 27, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
I've been ploughing through Chinese glass (it's better than writing a dissertation, but only just) and thought people might like a look at these companies....in case their stuff turns up on the GMB at some point!

http://zh-artglass.en.alibaba.com/productlist.html
http://zibohuajun.en.alibaba.com/productlist.html
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glass from China
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
Thanks, Max!
I recognise a lot of it from TKMaxx - and some of it is very good. I got quite attached to one of the "lizards perched on a bit of wood", carried it around the shop for a wee while then put it back. I'd have liked it in the bathroom, but the upstairs one doesn't have an exposed cistern to put it on top of. (Downstairs one is already occupied.
And Michael was looking very disapproving.....
(But he looked the same way when i bought the (rock-crystal?) cut decanter. He thinks I've got enough glass  :spls: ..... is there any such state?)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »
I'd like to add a couple of comments on this and other Chinese glass.

Firstly, I collect the little Chinese glass birds you so often see incorrectly listed on eBay as either Murano, Isle of Wight or even Langham Glasshouse.  They are delightful little pieces with beautiful feathering effects in the glass....simple but very pretty.
I don't undersand why people are so reluctant to list them correctly....even when corrected....which I do a lot,  they don't change the listing, so are in effect misleading bidders.
Looking at the glass sites you have given,  Max,  I think they are beautiful pieces,  but I had to laugh when I saw the blue spotted dog in the animal section.....how many of you have seen that listed as Portmeirion??  I  have lots of times.....and bought one thinking it was.....I don't mind though it is cute and I have given it to my Grandson to foster an interest in glass...."But we won't have as much room for as many pieces as you have got Grandma!"

So why the reluctance to admit that Chinese glass is beautiful and well crafted?

Are we in danger of becoming Glass Snobs?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:08:48 PM »
 :chky: :hiclp: :chky:
Yay! another supporter of good Chinese glass!  :rah:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
I've got nothing against Chinese glass...it's just when people sell it as Murano that it gets my goat (or blue spotty dog)  ;)

Sue...I was admiring the lizard on the website...would have been tempted to buy that myself!
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
Close-up and in your mitts, it's a lovely piece, Max, beautifully made. And I know you're not peculiarly predjudiced against Chinese glass.  :-*
And everybody has a right to get mad at folk who try to pass it off as something else.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
I liked the grasshopper....it is beautiful!!

Now, when I wanted to list a pair of Armani Jeans in eBay, I had to go through so many hoops to list it....I had to swear on my others grave that it was genuine....so.....
WHY can't eBay do the same with glass.  If it is listed as Wedgwood, Whitefriars or other famous name, the seller should be asked to PROVE it is....look at this item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Art-Glass-Wedgwood-Stylized-Elephant-Paperweight-L-K-/280557978809?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item41528f04b9

Wedgwood???  :24:

And why can't people spell Wedgwood correctly?? Where do they get the extra 'e' from??

Sorry, I am in 'rant' mood....I am in bed with a cold and so am getting this off my chest!!

Lets say hooray for good Chinese glass and say when it is..OK? :hiclp:
Rosie.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
Yeah, you're right.  No wonder people get confused.  It's a very nice looking vase too.   :-\

I am not a man

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
You are right Emmi, :thup:  Murano should be reserved for Murano glass only.
Mind you, that said, eBay don't help as their category listing for Murano Glass, automatically selects Sommerso as well, and most Murano Glass is not Sommerso.
Because of this,  many listers, some of whom I feel should know better, list their lamp work glass as Murano Sommerso, and when corrected get quite shirty!!
It also sends out the wrong message that all Murano Glass is Sommerso and so novice glass collectors buy a piece described as Sommerso and genuinely believe it is.  
So back to my last reply....this is where eBay could have a list of questons before posting to alert the seller....and show examples to help them.  
Does anybody else agree with this??

Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand