No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: face sculpture/box  (Read 5053 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: face sculpture/box
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
Received an answer from Düsterhaus, it's not his work. Sorry, no further information included.

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
Oh but thank you Pamela for asking - much appreciated  :sun:
Frank, I'm pretty sure I can see lumps of something in the glass behind the bubbles of the dimples and it doesn't look like 'paint/ink/faux stuff', it looks like stones  :-\  That said, it is very difficult to see as I'm looking through a strong magnifying glass and the thick glass sides that distort everything >:D
I see what you mean  on the graal from Lindean....lovely pieces !!
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »
The bubbles could have been made by dropping some material that evaporates when covered in hot close - thus creating the bubble, incomplete burning away would leave a residue. The paint would simply be used for the line.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
The Reidel piece I saw was like your face box.
It was in the passing on an ebay search - and I didn't make a note of the listing.  I looked at the two images together, yours and the listing at the time, and decided there was simply too much difference. So sorry. :pb:   
It was a box, it had a funny face on it - but it didn't have the same expressiveness, it didn't have glass fibre inclusions (which is what I'm convinced your box has - they're far too like the Benny Mozfeldt glass fibre inclusions I had a few examples of) and it didn't have any colour.
Probably a bit of a red herring mentioning it - although it did cross my mind that their box might be a "tribute" to the designer of yours.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »
Sue many thanks :)
I will investigate a little further and see what comes up.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »
I found one on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Riedel-Design-Glass-Vase-FACE-Austria-signed-Label-/220623599387?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item335e30f71b

See? not the same thing at all - just a wee bit similar  :thud:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 02:12:59 PM »
lol   ;D - seriously though, thank you for continuing to look for me - I have seen the Riedel ones before and I can't think why I didn't realise which ones you were referring to.
This one is going to remain a mystery probably, but I enjoy the search every now and again hoping something will pop up.
have you seen the pics I attached on the thread asking for info on Dave Hobart?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »
I've come  across this vase from Björkshult Sweden
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bjorkshult-Sweden-Blue-Glass-Vase-/232087810844?hash=item360982f31c:g:9eYAAOSwxg5X0XVJ

some good photos of another piece here
http://thescandinaviangroup.com/art-glass/1960s-hans-christian-wagner-bjorkshult-sweden-tall-studio-glass-vase-label/

Two more pieces here on the glass message board
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52342.msg297113.html#msg297113

and also this piece (similarity only in the kind of 'feel' of the design of the glass)
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/453317138/vintage-bjorkshult-sweden-hans-christian?ref=market

The owner of the first piece 'decadesofantiques' has this to say about Björkshult:

'Björkshult glassworks was founded in 1892 by Carl Petersson, Oscar Johannson, Oscar Carlstrom and Robert Nyrena and was originally called Björklunda. After having had several owners, its name was changed from Björklunda to Björkshult in 1919. In 1934 the company was sold again to three glasblowers who modernized the company. In 1974, it became part of the Krona-Bruken AB (who also owned Gullaskruf, Maleras, Skruf and Aseda), and which went bankrupt in 1977. Björkshult produced household and ornamental glass, as well as cut glass. In the 1930s, it started to produce specially toughened glass that was used in industrial applications such as lights, but also for tableware. In the 1940, the designer Ragnar Johansson started to design glass animals, which were a success. The main designers at Björkshult were: Hans-Christian Wagner (1957-1976), Margareta Schlyter-Stiernstedt (1953-1968) and Carl-Einar Borgstrom in the 1970s.

Just adding this as a reference for research later.  The blue vase at the top has similarities with the box face.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand