No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edwardian Champagne Glass  (Read 885 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
Edwardian Champagne Glass
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:06:12 AM »
This is the best looking champagne glass l have in my collection . The shape of the glass and the grinded pontil suggested Edwardian. The top part is engraved(toolmark presented) but the lower part is sandblasted. Make me wonder why don't they just sandblasted the whole thing.
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ipdglasspolishing

• Members
    • C18th / 19th century glass
    • UK.
    • ians-polishing-kits
Re: Edwardian Champagne Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »
Lovely glass. I can see the difference, above the band has been frosted by wheel? and below the band blasted.  :huh: Maybe the blaster could not do curves. :thud: :thup:
Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
It's more likely etched than sandblasted.  It would have been easy to mark straight lines around the glass, dip the bowl and stem in wax up to the lines, and etch the wide band.  Dealing with details (e.g. curved areas, the raised line at the top of the etched area) would have added labor; the top area was small enough that it was easier to grind it by hand.  That's my guess, anyway.

...hmm.  I wonder whether the proud thin band was made with resist, and the etched area actually went beyond it.  It's very sharply delineated both top and bottom - but not actually smooth.  The wax dip would not have to be precise, since the boundary of the etch was smoothed by wheel grinding.

Very nice example of the techniques used together.  Great shape.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:35:07 AM »
Thanks for your explanation, Kristi.
I do love the shape as well, so elegant.
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand