No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stirrup Cup? Candle Snuff or part of something bigger?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Stirrup Cup? Candle Snuff or part of something bigger?
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:34 AM »
I have acquired these funnel shaped glass objects as part of a job lot of old glass and was wondering what they might be. The stem is closed so they are not funnels.
The cut glass one is 4.75 inches high and the engraved glass one is 4.5 inches high. I could only think of candle snuffs (but they would likely crack with the heat) or stirrup cups (but a bit stingy - even to a Scot!). Then I thought they might be part of something bigger, such as an epergne, but then they might be too small for that. I am probably overlooking the obvious, but can anyone please help?
Regards
Ronnie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Stirrup Cup? Candle Snuff or part of something bigger?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
part of an epergne sounds right. One central and three surrounding it - like this http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiques/view/cranberry_glass_epergne/as105a128

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »
Or sometimes just a single one in a metal stand as a vase.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
While I was at that web site looking at the link posted I couldn't resist searching for "hyacinth vase". It's as if they got their photos mixed up: http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiques/view/amberina_glass_bulb_vase/as098a024. How could they seriously describe that as amberina? and antique? (rather than vintage)
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand