No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Vase please  (Read 423 times)

Offline mikebonne

• Members
Help with Vase please
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »
Heloo all and thanks again for all your imput.  I have this large orange/brown mix vase that I have been told it could be Scottish but I would like some assuarance from the experts if possible.  It is 23cm tall (9 inches) andvery heavy.  The little round base part is virtually clear and the centre has a scooped out polished pontil like Whitefriars pieces I have.  If there was a signature on the base is is scuffed around the ring from being moved over the years as it is deffinitely quite old.  The lower dusky orange is made up of orange splodges as well as some pinks and the top part looks dark brown but i think some of the spots are purples.  it is very "smoothed" rounded at the top.  That's about all I can say about it and will leave it to the experts now.  thanks  Markus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help with Scottish Vase please
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:14:35 PM »
I don't think this is Scottish - I think it's Czech - an "as yet unidentified" maker, it is often mistaken for Monart.
Have a look at Frank's site. He has coined the term "Cellophane glass" to describe this stuff.

It is very attractive, and high quality, probably of a similar period to Monart.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Help with Scottish Vase please
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
I had one a long time ago , all i can say is the guy told me he bought it in Belgium .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mikebonne

• Members
Re: Help with Vase please
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:02:55 PM »
Thanks a lot.  I have now found some other examples .  markus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum