No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: maker request for green pressed bowl  (Read 614 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
maker request for green pressed bowl
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:55:49 AM »
thought it was going to be Sowerby or Brockwitz, but don't see it on their catalogues  -  also don't believe it is a Davidson or Bagley colour.     Some age, with wear both inside and outside on all the usual high spot areas, and have just today noticed a wear 'ring' on the underside recess indicating this may well have stood on a plinth earlier in its life  -  although there is a typical outer flat foot rim as well.     Diameter is something like 9.5"/240mm.    This green seems uncommon when compared to all the other colours of bowls, and I don't see a single example on Pamela's site  -  it's not unlike a more modern Czech or Polish  colour.     I've not looked thru Pamela pics. entirely, and will continue later.        Of course, I may well have missed seeing this somewhere along the line, so grateful for a pointer if anyone does recognize the design, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: maker request for green pressed bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
I have some pressed pieces in this green too Paul - not this pattern though. I don't know where it originates, but some of the SU factories used this colour, so that might be an area to explore to start with.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
It might just conceivably be American from the lack of ground base rim, the pattern, the colour and that it's seems to be designed to form a centrepiece. It would more likely have had something that looked like an upturned vase or even an upturned sugar bowl underneath it.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »
Anne  - sorry to be dim, what is SU please??  -  I guess there is some reason why this deep green has been uncommon as a colour - it is, I think, very attractive.
Christine  -  I should have made it clear that in fact there is a flat ground outer rim to the base - although not clear in the second picture.   It is not very wide, but certainly is there.     Your ideas of the nature of a possible base sound interesting  -  and with this degree of wear on the underside recess, would seem that there may well be more age to the bowl that might at first be thought. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »
SU = Sklo Union

This is the sort of thing I mean http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=615 , see the next two pictures for the individual pieces.

The ground base rim doesn't rule out the USA.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
thank you  -  and yes, I also have a two part item, not too dissimilar (but missing the cups ;D - see the attached).     Yes, this colour brings in the possibility of it being Czech, as I had mentioned in my original note, although I have not been thru Marcus's CD completely  -  so will look again.    I certainly have a Polish piece in this colour.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand