No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Scandinavian Lamp Shade?  (Read 782 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Is this a Scandinavian Lamp Shade?
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
Hi,
I bought this recently because I liked the colour but I'm puzzling over what it is!  Can any one shed any light (sorry about the pun)?  It has a rounded base so I think it's a light shade, but there are no signs of marks from a fitting.  I'm thinking it could be Scandinavian because of the colour, but it could equally be Italian.  It is very thick and is clear glass cased on yellow over white.  It's 6.5 inches high and weighs a hefty 1.3kg.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marie.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Is this a Scandinavian Lamp Shade?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
It's not a lampshade but I think it is intended as a vase (lampshades usually have two holes). Can't help with an id though, it looks very modern to me......

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marie anne

• Members
Re: Is this a Scandinavian Lamp Shade?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
Hi John,
Thanks for your post.  You could well be right.  It looks pristine around the neck, there's a little wear on the base.  It just seems very strange to have a vase with a round bottom.  But it would be very heavy if a lamp shade as well as having no holes around the top or points for attachment.  I still find it puzzling!   :-\
Marie.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand