No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mid Century Czech?? Who made this one??  (Read 4263 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mid Century Czech?? Who made this one??
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »
The bottle is not cased, I don't believe any of the others are either.
Your zig-zag is more along the lines of my precious baby fish, John, with swirls of different colours, not a main colour mixed with clear to sort of make it paler, like this piece.
I'd suspect this is simply an early-ish bit of (probably) American studio glass, not neccessarily early in date, but early in the career of the maker.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »
I do not believe this is American, and it is too well executed to be from an artist early in their career. We see tons of beginner studio glass in this area, and this is not a piece of it......  The use of the clear on this along with color appears to be very intentional in the resulting decor.....  and the application of the trailings or straps is very well executed. Absolutely the work of a skilled artist.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 02:23:44 PM »
 :24:
But the first 3 years of Michael Harris working at Mdina WAS his very early "novice" glassmaking period! He only got his hands on hot glass in '67, he left Mdina in '71.
 >:D  So, if it can't be by somebody early on in their career, it can't be by MH at Mdina.

I've just looked at the image of Ron's bottle - I believe there's just a reflection at the base - it's not cased.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 02:51:41 PM »
Do we really want to compare the early work of an obvious star to that of the early average novice?    :ooh:

Some people are simply born to do something...  and novice or not, the talent is present from the onset....  Michael Harris would appear to be one of those people.....   :kissy:

Craig

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
Indeed, Craig.
Some "novices" produce absolutely awesome work - it's not confined to MH - and we also need to remember the origins of the Studio Glass movement are in America.... which I have tried (unsuccesfully) to ignore - 'cos there's just too much of it and far too many great artists! :ho:

However, we seem to be wittering on about Mdina being a possibility for the piece in question - while I seriously think not.

:hi: Has anybody else got any suggestions?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
no suggestions but  my first instinct was Scandinavian, tempered with a thought that the colours weren't right, because it reminded me of the Aseda decanter for some reason, probably just a first reaction given the shape and the fact it was 'textured' (obviously not pulls but trails instead though).  Jacob Bang also did trailed vases, but again the colours don't sit right and I'm sure it is was by him then someone would have piped up before now.  Then I thought Czech because of the base and the colours possibly.  So, no.... no suggestions - I haven't even come across something similar on my net travels....it's a gorgeous piece though.  I'd have bought it ;D - I found one studio  vased trailed that was made by  Craig Holt, Trout Studios.  It's not the same,very random trails and lots of them..in fact it reminded me of MH's work a little.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
Your zig-zag is more along the lines of my precious baby fish, John, with swirls of different colours, not a main colour mixed with clear

No it is not Sue, the body is in clear glass, in places (mostly around the rim) coloured yellow presumably with silver chloride, the zig zag trail is in an amethyst and clear glass mix (my guess is an amethyst gather followed by a clear gather). I think the trail around the top is clear but it looks very yellow.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
Yup, clear glass, John, with swirls of colour and yellows and browns from mixing with silver chloride in it. see below.

I think the amethyst and clear glass trails would have both been put together on a rod and trailed together - to get the flowing swirls there are in the zig-zag, rather that one put on after the other, though.  :spls:

there are aslo a couple of images of my amethyst strapped bottle for comparing with the piece in question.
(there is no damage to the strapping towards the bottom - it's a forceps mark, manufacturing flaw.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »
I am adding an image to this discussion which I believe is quite important to the topic:

Item and image owned by Ron Wheeler, Artius Glass. Reproduced here with his permission.

The base of this piece shows an evidently obvious clear casing at the foot of the vase.....  So we now have to operate with the understanding at this point, that there were instances of clear being used by Michael Harris at the time, and in the manner exhibited by the vase being discussed here.

Craig

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »
Has Ron confirmed it is a casing and not an artifact of the photograph?
I never saw the beast in question, just photos.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand