No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I.D help please...Old Opaline Vase with pastoral scenes and ormolu/brass rim  (Read 924 times)

Offline cmdg

• Members
Hi,Can anyone help identify the maker of this vase please?.It stands at just under 10 inches tall,the underside shows considerable age/wear and it has scenes on either 'side'in black , the stepped foot is in a very pale blue colour with fine dark lines around ,and the main body of the vase is white/opaline.I think the scenes are transfer printed but not quite sure how to tell,they are quite fine and detailed.The top has a brass or ormolu mount around the rim ,I am unsure if this once carried a lid or cover at some point,or is just the original finish to the rim.The bottom has a half inch diameter drilled (?) hole through it,meaning that it could not hold water as a flower vase.
I will appreciate any information you may have about this,I imagine that it is Victorian,but not even sure about that !.
Thank you all, Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Additional information may help us. Check the image under magnification. Is it screened? In that case the lines consist of very tiny dots. Also, is the underside a rough pontil mark, or polished, or was it mould blow so a smooth bottom?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cmdg

• Members
Hi ,I have just had a much closer look at the scenes,and they seem to be etched into the glass (perhaps acid etched?),and there are no tiny dots and the lines look like they are into,rather than onto the glass.
With regards to the base,if there had been a pontil scar,then it would have been where the hole is,the base is smooth-ish,but the base is not polished flat,it has a lot of wear around the edges, and there are a few concentric lines and a lightly dimpled surface.I can see no signs of any mold lines on the vase or base (or a join in the metal!).
I can try to take any specific photos if it will help,just let me know!.
What do you think? .....Chris

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
It looks like a silk screened Aladdin Alacite lamp base to me. Ken

Offline cmdg

• Members
Hi Ken, thanks for that,can I assume these lamps were run with oil/paraffin,I'll look into Aladdin Alacite lamps and see what I can find out!.Do you have any info about them,or when were they made?.
Best wishes,Chris

Offline cmdg

• Members
Hi, I made contact with two knowledgeable collectors in the U.S who both said that it is not an Aladdin or made in alacite!.I do agree that it is probably an oil lamp base,with the oil reserve held above the vase itself,I think this because the brass rim has a square profile around the top edge,which I don't think is particularly decorative,so probably made to  hold  an oil lamp fitting of some sort?.
I believe that Richardson's (UK) made a vitrified glass in white opaline but have not found much info about these pieces yet.
Any more ideas appreciated!...
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand