No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: German crystal label - ST in a G?  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: German crystal label - ST in a G?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »
243. Marsberger Glasfabrik, G. m. b. H., in Marsberg, Paulinenstraße (PostamtTelegraphenstationEisenbahn station), Provinz Westfalen (Preußen). Fernsprech-Anschluß Amt Marsberg 6, TA: Glasfabrik Marsberg. Inhaber: Louis und Julius Nordheimer und N. Höttcher. Direktor: Louis Nordheimer.
Fabrikate: Konservengläser, Tipp-Topp und Küchen­freund, Einmachehafen, aufgetrieben, Geleegläser, Honig­hafen zum Zubinden und mit Gewinde, Bombongläser, Württemberger und Holländer Weinflaschen, Karaffen mit Stöpsel, Sturzflaschen, Kinderflaschen und Schnapsfla-schen, Fischgläser, Fliegenfallen, Dortmunder Becher, Tonneformbecher, Albert-Viktoria-Kaiser- und V.-Becher, Stangengläser, (süddeutsche) Harzer Pokale, Bierkrüge, Likörkelche, Weingläser, Schwenkschalen, Wasser- und Teebecher. Spezialität: Konservengläser. — 1 Schmelz­ofen, 14 Häfen mit Kappe, System Boëtius. Steinkohle. Schleiferei mit 10 Werkstellen. Elektromotoren 12, 7½ und 1½ PS. 80 Arbeiter. Jahresproduktion: 250 000 Gmk.
Vertreter: S. Eichholz, Düsseldorf, Bergerallee 3. (Ge­gründet 1904.)

Information courtesy the Glass-Study.com

Yup  :spls:  that is a site you have to pay for! But where can you eventually get access to such a library or rare glass material. Members are welcome to share the knowledge it contains. It needs to be paid for as I have no other income and dedicate all my spare time to making glass information available on the web. Much of which is free access.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 04:58:47 AM »
Thanks for the extra info on Marsberger, Frank.

It's not that I'm always opposed to paying for access to materials, but I feel ambivalent about it. I have a job, but like many members here, I spend a lot of my free time doing research, buying books, etc, which information I share freely with others on this forum without compensation for that time and money spend. People like Pamela offer far more and better info for free.

But as always, if info is really scarce, it will have some economic value. For me, if someone had for instance many German post-war catalogues with pictures available from Peill & Putzler, Hirschberg, Theresienthal, Nachtmann, Marsberger, etc, I would sign up instantly and pay gladly. But I haven't found a site yet that contains that sort of information. I've checked yours, but the search came up empty for all these German companies I collect. Please email me if you know otherwise...

Sadly, in relation to the query I still do not see any logical explanation for the connection GST with Marsberger. We seem to have enough info on Marsberger (In my experience, if a glass company uses three letters on their label, these letters stand for something, and I haven't read anything any of the Marsberger histories so far to explain the ST (G could always stand for Glas or Glashütte).

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
Frank is not making an income from this or any of his other sites (unlike many pay for info sites); he also gives much invaluable free information and 100s of hours to unpaid glass research. He does not have a paid job (for various personal reasons outside his control), so he needs support merely to keep these sites physically online not to compensate for the extensive time spent or anything else. We are not talking economic value. Frank is also one of the founder members of this site, but personal issues have meant that you haven't met him yet.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
... if someone had for instance many German post-war catalogues with pictures available from Peill & Putzler, Hirschberg, Theresienthal, Nachtmann, Marsberger, etc, I would sign up instantly and pay gladly. But I haven't found a site yet that contains that sort of information. I've checked yours, but the search came up empty for all these German companies I collect. Please email me if you know otherwise...

I certainly have some of those and a crateful of WMF catalogues as well as other rare German material... not to mention French, Belgian, Spanish, Czech, Italian, Russian and American.... all in the queue to be digitised. I break everything down to individual images so that comparisons can be made easily across factories, vessel type, time etc...

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
STG could be a retailer label of course. Or Gallery.

Switzerland and Austria should be considered too Stoob Gallery set up in early 70s by Peter Rath.

Online Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
Anyone consider asking Ritzenhoff at all?

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
I most certainly apologize if my comments on pay sites in general were read as saying something negative about Frank and his project. I guess I merely meant to say that unless I know what I'm paying for, I tend to be wary. I applaud everyone who takes the trouble to make information about glass more and better available, be it amateur, professional, or something in between.

I certainly have some of those and a crateful of WMF catalogues as well as other rare German material... not to mention French, Belgian, Spanish, Czech, Italian, Russian and American.... all in the queue to be digitised. I break everything down to individual images so that comparisons can be made easily across factories, vessel type, time etc...

That certainly sounds wonderful! How i'd love to lay my eyes on those... . Do you take bribes to influence the processing order of your queue? :)

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »
Anyone consider asking Ritzenhoff at all?

I guess my nose is still a bit bothery from my attempts at getting Nachtmann to say something useful about their back catalogues, so I'm not keen on trying to get other German companies to develop an interest in their heritage... I might try Ritzenhoff if I have gathered enough courage :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »
ALL of the Nachtmann back catalogues got dumped in a skip. I have at least one that will get digitised one day...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand