No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina ink pot vase polished pontil  (Read 1738 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Mdina ink pot vase polished pontil
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
Since there seems to be Mdina talk today, I thought I'd post a pic of an ink pot vase I have.
I'm curious to know whether this is early (i.e when Michael Harris was there) or not.  Curious because it has iridescence on the surface of the piece as well as lots of silver chloride streaks in it. Its not showing up very well in the pictures under evening lighting, but there is a huge swirl of milky cloudy iridescence right round the piece. I have very few pieces of Mdina and apart from the little jug I posted a while ago, which I think also has some iridescence to it, my other pieces dont have this.
It has a wideish neck opening and not ground for a stopper and has a polished pontil mark on the base.  
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: Mdina ink pot vase polished pontil
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
Ooooh lovely colours, any chance of a shot of the base?  Looks fairly early to me. 

I have three ink pots, all with stoppers but none are ground as the stoppers are not meant fit closely - the stems are much thinner than the opening.  Two of mine are early ones- concave polished pontils; One has a flat polished base and footed - this is a later, straight sided pot.  I'll see if I can take some pics to show you.

Suzy xxx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »
For some reason, and I'm sure it's my techno-ignorance that's to blame, my pics are huge on here so I'll post them over a couple of posts.

Cont...

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:22:16 PM »

Later pot.

HTH

Suzy xxx

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »
Lovely pots.

The size is 'cos you are pasting them in somehow (You can't be that techno-ignorant if you can do that) rather than using the attach facility, which creates a blow-upable thumbnail  :kissy:

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »
Cheers Christine, you're quite right I'm not attaching them.  I've been using the Insert Image button above, I'll try to rmember for next time.

XXX

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
If you ever find a singular stopper with a narrow stalk, it can be happily plonked in.  :thup:

I believe when these were originally sold, stoppers were optional - they were made in a one size-will-do-all, so a stopper could simply be selected from a batch of them and added to the pot. They are happily interchangable.

Polished round pontil marks were not continued after Michael Harris left or it may have been until after Vicente Boffo left - we still don't know how long he stayed at Mdina before going to Malta Decorative Glass, but it was very probably no more than a few months, if that. They were definitely stopped by then - too much extra work for a small overworked workforce trying to keep up with demand.

Lovely pot, m - loads of stuff going on, and lovely semi-rounded shape!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »
Oooh thanks for all that info Sue and Suzy.  I sold my amethyst one a little while ago.
I've taken a pic of the base but had to take the pic of the iridescence with a flash as it wouldn't show properly, so it looks like a milky cloud, but in reality it appears as mirror iridescence , very shiny.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:34:31 PM »
That's a good picture M, shows the detail, some great colouring.

I had wondered about these ink pots, primarily about the stoppers. Seen a few around although some with stoppers and some without, hadn't realised that they were optional.

Nice pot.

Greg
 :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand