No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Vase, with unusual label, help with age please  (Read 7179 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Mdina Vase, with unusual label, help with age please
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
It really is in a class of it's own ! It's the precursor to all those wonderful Malta Decorative Glass designs .  :)  It's what glass collecting is all about , to get endless pleasure from just looking at a piece everyday .
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
 :)

I think there has to be somebody else's hand in it too - if it was entirely Boffo made, I'm sure it would have had a finer and thinner rim flange.

But I so agree - if it ever comes to ads on the tv, I just switch my gaze to my shelves. If a bit of sunlight suddenly manages to sneak in and lights my display up - I immediately forget whatever programme I'm watching, and just gaze at my glass in awe!

It never, ever fails to give me pleasure. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
LOL ! I also turn down the volume to zero !!

The rim flange on mine is hardly circular :o ( whoever made mine might have been drinking beer to keep cool I suspect  ::) !)

Perhaps it was part of the overall design to have a thick rim flange , the shape and proportions look really good . Mine is in the bathroom   :D !

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »
You have a very good point there - a very fine flange would not be balanced with the body, doh!  :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
Oh great , your Earthtones example  surely must be a Boffo(s) piece then ! (Given all the evidence from MDG )  ;)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
I'm possibly stretching the imagination a bit here, attributing it to Boffo! It's not been done in the "grid" format I normally associate with Vicente (the father), and it does have an "early" Mdina script mark on the base, the same as my other one - but I don't have a pic to hand and it's simply not in the same league as this one. I doubt I'll ever know for sure.  ;D
The only time I am sure is when it's the grid/net/mesh design, which is found in MDG.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
It would be interesting to find out who it was who perfected this marbling effect at Mdina. You can't help but think it was Vicente and I hope with his son Ettore. Perhaps when Vicente started at MDG he thought he would continue it but altering the design to more of a grid pattern so as not to be seen to be copying previous Mdina designs. It's only a theory (as you have implied) but I would image it would take a great deal of initial experimenting to achieve the results shown in your superb vase above. If it was Vicente & Ettore who perfected it then Vicente would feel entirely justified in using the same techniques at MDG.

It's a shame that more information isn't available on the Boffos work at Mdina.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
I am positive (Papa) Boffo used the grid design at Mdina.
While I don't have any marked pieces I can curently lay my mitts on, I have a Fish vase (and have seen several others) and a "facetted cube" case - and a chalice without a knop, but with the "bell-shaped" cup part.
I don't believe these were shapes produced at MDG. But I also have no evidence to back that up.

The shape which I call a "Chimney vase" (it has a big wide funnel on top of a flattened base part) was produced in both places. I've got a green MDG one.

The fabulous Earthtones design on the bottle I posted is very reminiscent of the swirly colours used for making glass for stained glass windows - a technique he could have learned at wfs.

It's the expert use of the colours this way that makes me think it must be a Boffo piece.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
I have seen most of your pieces that you mention on other threads :). That's my 'grid theory' blown out of the window  ::)  I forgot about those !

Have you thought of sending pics. to Mdina to find out any further info. on the vase/bottle  ? It would be fascinating to see if they could shed any further light on it . It's such a great piece !
Mike

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »
I have an unsigned Mdina vase in this shape. I think it may be unsigned as there is a burst bubble on the side but I do not know this factory very well.... John "Glassobsessed" kindly helped me identify this one, as a variant on Tortoiseshell probably 1970-1980 ish .... It is great that Mdina messed (and messes) around with colours in the same pattern so much, it creates totally different products, with just minor changes.

Robert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand