No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Maltese Glass - Mdina/Michael Harris?  (Read 22376 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mystery Maltese Glass - Mdina/Michael Harris?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »
Michael Harris left Mdina in '71.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
But apparently Betty stayed on. :)
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
No doubt in the slightest that it is a Harris piece. Just interesting that these are the only two pieces that I have ever seen marked 'Betty' and also the inclusion of the post Harris date on the chalice of 1974. So it would appear that 'Betty' was around from the early years, when your piece was produced and stayed on after the Harris's left, until at least 74.

Given that the name is virtually never seen, I did wonder if 'Betty' was perhaps an employee or family friend that worked in the shop or office and very occasionally signed the odd piece to help out during exceptionally busy periods.

Agreed, something with such a personal inscription would be unlikely to include the name of someone less known at the factory. However, I did wonder if 'Betty' may have been a close friend/empolyee who worked their, I would imagine it was quite a close knit place to work, especially in the early years. The Betty mystery continues......... :)

Offline goyjus

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser...  ;D
Many thanks, Anthony

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2012, 07:04:39 PM »
Its all a bit of a mystery  ???

Perhaps there's more than Betty or the date of 74 is incorrect, it certainly appears to read 74. I did send Ron a quick email about the wording on the Chalice and the date. I'll let you know if I hear back.

All a little puzzling.  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
The first piece in this thread says
'with all our love Mike, Betty, Timothy and Jonathon'
that's a very personal inscription especially saying 'with all our love'.  I would think that has to mean that Betty is Elisabeth doesn't it?
I wonder whether the chalice was a present for Betty, and inscribed years after it was made?  Is the writing Michael Harris'?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 06:41:42 AM »
Betty is not an uncommon name for those born in the first half of the last century, which fits with the 1974 date. The first Betty is most probably Elizabeth Harris, given the combination of the names, but any thoughts about who the second Betty is are just pure speculation. Betty was probably a tourist who happened to watch them f doing the engraving and asked for her name on it. Note that it is not a dedication, just a name.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
Yes possibly, but Greg has said he is sure this is a Harris Chalice and it is dated 1974. 
Which is odd given that the Harris's left Mdina in 1971.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 07:12:43 AM »
The chalice is the wrong shape for a Harris one; it has a "square" bowl rather than a bell shaped one

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »
As Christine says, definitely more of a Dobson influenced shape and Harris left in 72 not 71.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand