No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please Help Me Identify These Clear Glass Vases  (Read 612 times)

Offline conniemod

• Members
Please Help Me Identify These Clear Glass Vases
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
Hello,

Today I purchased four (4) clear glass vases and wondered if anyone on this forum might be able to assist me with identifying what they are.

They are 6 1/2 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches wide at the largest width in their centers.

These are unmarked with no stamp on the bottom.

The body of the vases appears to be blown glass -- they have no seams on them.

The upper fluted opening on two (2) of the vases appear to have a seam on them. 
However one "seam" continues for about 1/2 inch below the vase neck, which makes me wonder if they're not seams but just flaws in the glass. 

The fluting appears to be hand - done as each one is different.

Their bases have what appears to be the signs of blown glass with  varied slight circular ripples like one would see if you dropped a little stone in a pool of water.  Each base is a little different than the others - some have more rippling effect than others.  The ripples are not purposely made.

The painted floral patterns appear to be made with an artist's brush as one can see brush hair marks in the paint.

The paint is shiney.

The glass is heavier than modern glass vases one typically finds at yardsales and thrift shops but the vases are not what I'd consider heavy.

I purchased these today in Buffalo, Wyoming, U.S.A., where I live.

I tried using google.com search engine to view images of clear glass hand-painted floral vases, and also reviewed some glass terminology.

Is there a name for this shape of vase?

Is fluted the correct term for the pressed dents on the rim?

Could these be hand-painted by someone that perhaps there are no others like them?

Can I wash these vases with mild dish detergent and use a toothbrush on them lightly?

Lastly, are these worth anything?

Thank you

Conniemod
Buffalo, Wyoming

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline conniemod

• Members
Re: Please Help Me Identify These Clear Glass Vases
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »
Oops! This is a photo of all four (4) vases.

- Conniemod

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline conniemod

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 02:11:44 AM »
Hello,

After several hours of research, I believe I've figured out the history on these vases I posted above.
Teleflora made similar vases in the 1980s.
Heres a photo of a similar vase made by Teleflora I found on the internet.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
Is there a name for this shape of vase?

Is fluted the correct term for the pressed dents on the rim?

Could these be hand-painted by someone that perhaps there are no others like them?

Can I wash these vases with mild dish detergent and use a toothbrush on them lightly?

Hi Connie.  :)

Looks like you might have found where these vases came from.  The alternative would be someone at home who is hand painting vases as a hobby imho.  I'd call the shape baluster, although others might have a different opinion.  Yes, the top is fluted and I would certainly be VERY careful indeed about cleaning them.  Probably running a damp cloth around them would be as far as I'd go.  You might find the paint comes off very easily in water.  If they're really dirty, try an inconspicuous place before trying any cleaning at all...but of course, you knew that.   ;) :) :)  Very decorative vases...bet they really brighten the place up.  :thup:
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
quote from Max........"I'd call the shape baluster".            I hope Max that you won't object to me adding a little to your informative post.       Correctly, when the swelling is in the lower position then it's termed a 'true baluster (like the stone balustrades seen often in Georgian architecture - i.e. mad George :) ).         However, where the swelling is in the higher position  -  such as these vases - then the term is 'inverted baluster'.     Just one of the amazing wrinkles you learn when collecting C18 wine glasses. :)     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand