No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pure Inlaid Silver Glass Bowl...?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Pure Inlaid Silver Glass Bowl...?
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:52:43 AM »
 :hi:,

I bought this at a garage sale for only a couple bucks.  It has some damage of the inlaid coming off -- not sure it that it due to age, since I am not sure how old this it.  The fact that the label says "Pure Inlaid Silver" caught my eye.....plus the fact it had a foil label too.  I just thought it was an *interesting* item for the Price.

Who is Maestro?  It looks like under that word, it says ???  Reg US Pat Pend (I think, that is what it says.....??)    It is 12 inches wide, and about 3.5 inches tall.  Is the cracking of the Inlaid Silver due to age (like how the old pottery glaze will craze)??  The only thing I found (kinda) similar was Goofus Glass, but I know nothing about that glass, and not sure IF this is that ???

Any ideas who the maker is, or is that an Import label?  Of the age?  Or any info at all?

Thanks, as always  :kissy:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Pure Inlaid Silver Glass Bowl...?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:48 AM »
Just to mention, looking into 'Maestro', the term seems to come up fairly often, I see when translating it from Italian means 'Master'. So the label may be a little confusing or just a generic one indicating Master glass blower. Having said that there do seem quite a few pieces around with this label on, perhaps the wording 'Reg US Pat Pend' might help shed some light...

I see one or two examples with the 'Maestro' label also described as EAPG,  'Early American Pattern Glass', not my thing so not sure how accurate this is or not.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
It's American. Put Maestro into the search box here
LINK REMOVED (This gallery would be a good place to search for your jug)

Remember that Century Metalcraft is more likely to be a decorator than a glass maker. It's also not EAPG at late 1930/40s

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
That's a very useful site Christine.

I see Century Metalcraft was indeed a decorating company and that 'Maestro' was a trade name of Centry Metalcraft. Appears they purchased blanks/patterns from a number of other US glass producers at the time.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »
The message board it belongs too is also a useful place for American (mostly elegant and depression) glass with nice members, some of whom come here too.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:22:08 PM »
We have it in our chataboutdg Gallery:
[LINK REMOVED]

As Christine pointed out we had numerous decorating companies in the U.S. from the 20's into the 60's, however most are gone now...they bought blanks from just about every manufacturer over the years, decorated them with etches, overlays, etc. & marketed them under the name of the specific decorating company. Matter of fact when it comes to silver overlay the vast majority (probably 80%+) of U.S. silver overlay patterns are from the private decorating companies as setting up & maintaining an overlay operation in the glass manufacturer's plant did not make economic sense from a cost standpoint.

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand