No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual pressed custard  (Read 577 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
unusual pressed custard
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
haven't been aware previously of seeing a piece of pressed glass with a snapped pontil scar like this  -  assume it is a custard  -  height is 3.1/8" - 80mm which is within the size range for these items.       Also slightly odd that the mould seams are unequal in their spacing around the foot - is this a feature of some particular factory does anyone know?      Stands on the edge of a domed foot, which shows fair amount of wear, so guess some reasonable age, but really not sure, and a few bubbles and the odd quite small stone.    Before I start trawling through Pamela's images, just wondered if there was an outside chance anyone recognized the pattern, or possible knew the factory.    All thoughts welcome, and thanks for looking. :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: unusual pressed custard
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:44:03 PM »
Paul, I'd guess that the unevenly spaced mould seams on the foot are a result of the width of the pattern on the body of the piece, i.e. the mould seams will have been dictated by the pattern repeat. I bet there's a number of patterns not equally divisible by three?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure this pattern is often found as a (taller) beer goblet. The snapped pontil mark is explained by the applied handle.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
sincere thanks to both of you for your expertise  -  I'm a little dim on the technicalities of these pressed pieces, so...............
In truth Anne, I hadn't thought of the possibility of difficulties with the seams and pattern repeats, and you may well be correct.   However, there are in fact six columns of lenses running vertically, and I see that one of the seams runs through the centre of the handle  -  although the trouble with that seam is that after leaving the bottom of the handle, it wanders of course, and is no longer in line with where it started - almost as though someone twisted the foot slightly :-\
quote from Lustrousstone................"The snapped pontil mark is explained by the applied handle"  -  please explain Christine, I'm a bit thick today. :-[
I thought that the blob of glass was dropped into the mould - down came the plunger, and that was the end of it   -   i.e.  so the base of the piece should not be showing a pontil scar, just the impression of the bottom of the mould :-\

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
The handle looked applied from the pix. Foot twisting and therefore misalignment may have occurred when the item was fire polished, which might explain the pontil mark. Those vases you sent me have a twisty stem
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=431 and I read somewhere reputable that this was the reason.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »
thanks, and the answer as you may gather, is that the handle was not applied, but part of a single pressing in the mould.     Would agree with you that it's possible items like these were attached to the pontil rod in order to finish the rim.       This custard doesn't stand very perpendicular either, and I guess the heat when fire polishing needs to be quite high.   Must admit I hadn't realized the extent of the twist on those vases - I should take them back and complain ;)     thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand