No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: bagley art nouveau. Really?  (Read 414 times)

Offline OxfordElla

• Members
bagley art nouveau. Really?
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »
I recently bought this vase in a local charity shop for £2.50p and have since then seen one only for sale on ebay, advertised as bagley from the art nouveau period-this surprised me as it "feels" more like a sixties piece. The dealer looks reputable, so I am prepared to be surprised! Please let me know what you think. I would like to use the piece as part of a vintage home exhibition I am putting together for a charity event, if I can positively identify.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-arts-in-mind/6320120774/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-arts-in-mind/6320124300/in/photostream/

showing another blue item for colour comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-arts-in-mind/6319613399/in/photostream/

Please help! I know of Angela's book, but at the moment i am having to put all my resources into getting a new not-for-profit community arts and music organisation rolling - including the vintage event mentioned - and so cannot possibly buy it until after that. I will be putting up a number of i.d. requests in the next few days with links to a flickr photostream - any help to identify these pieces would be greatly appreciated. This is my first posting - so if this part of the message is not in the appropriate place, please do move it, glass powers that be.

thanks - Eleanor

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: bagley art nouveau. Really?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:17:17 AM »
First and foremost, welcome to this fabulous board.   :)   

I doubt you will be surprised - can't imagine Art Nouveau glass like that - especially after Kralik, Loetz & Galle, etc.  I agree it looks 50s, 60s or perhaps 70s.  I suggest you post photos of the base of anything you want help with.  By the way - good photos - very clear.

As a very longshot - that is not the type of glass I attempt to collect - I am wondering about Ravenhead as a possibility.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:11 AM »
Not Bagley as far as I'm aware Eleanor. That colour is known in Davidson but I'm not familiar with that shape from them.

Welcome to the board, we'll help as much as we can. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:17 AM »
Definitely Davidson or rather Brama Davidson when the company had been taken over by Abrahams and renamed Brama Davidson. Very late 1960s/early 1970s. Luna pattern. (I've seen this shape before.)

It would be extremely difficult to find any Bagley Art Nouveau, as the Crystal Glass Works wasn't set up until 1912 and that was the bit that made pressed glass. Bagley was always was (and still is as Stölzle-Flaconnage) primarily a bottle factory.

Always take ebay attributions with a bucket of salt.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline OxfordElla

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »
Thanks so much for all answers - made my morning very exciting - my first answers! Well I am glad to have trusted my instincts on that one. Glad to have a bit of Luna pattern - it will go well with my other moon landing items on the exhibition!

best wishes Eleanor :t: have a lovely cuppa with me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand