No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz question on colour names  (Read 1088 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Loetz question on colour names
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:02 AM »
Is 'Arcadia' a colour name please?  and how pale is Creta Glatt seen?  Can it be nearly as pale as Olympia?
All the Creta Glatt vases I can find seem to be quite a medium green, I haven't seen one I would call 'pale green'.
And has Arcadia, if it is a colour, got a slight goldy tint to it?
Thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Loetz question on colour names
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
I haven't looked re your particular comments m  -  but wondered if you'd see here at all..............http://sites.google.com/site/loetzandglass/loetz-from-a-to-f

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:19 AM »
thanks Paul  :) yes I've seen everything there is to see I think  :o on my net searching and there are some extremely good examples.  But what I need is someone who has a piece of Loetz Arcadia or who has seen one, and someone who has a piece of Loetz creta glatt, and basically someone who can tell me the difference between what Arcardia looks like in the flesh, and how different it is to Olympia I think.  Photos are quite difficult to judge when it comes to nuances between shades of a colour, and particularly if cameras don't record the colours accurately, which is sometimes the case I find.  Especially with greens and especially when an item as been illuminated or not for the shot if you see what I mean?  I'm trying to decide what finish and colour a particular piece is and I can't decide.
m

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:07:48 AM »
Dear M,

In my experience and example below Arcadia glass  appears to be very similar in " greeness " at the base to Olympia and both of which to my eye are a more yellow ( uranium yellowy green ) than Creta Glatt. Arcadia also has a irridencent matt sheen to the surface as you mentioned.

Kind regards

Andrew

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 03:16:49 PM »
It is easily confused with Olympia but yours looks like Arcadia to me, here is another.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand