No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cased, Malachite, Murano, Empoli, LaFiore???????? HELP!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
Cased, Malachite, Murano, Empoli, LaFiore???????? HELP!
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
Picked this little beauty up yesterday. Paid slightly more than I would normally (have to) but  like it.

Initially I though LaFiore or possibly Italian. I can't find anything online that matches and although it looks similar to LaFiore, it isn't current. Hopefully someone else has seen a similar vase. If so please pojnt me in the right direct (or better still - tell me)  :cheers:

I do realise it could also be chinese and if you know it to be, please reference so I can compare. Or just tell me if you think it's beautiful so I don't think I'm  :usd:.

Terminology question: is it still Malachite on blown glass? I only know it as a term for pressed glass. If the exterior finish isn't malachite, what is it?  :pb:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Cased, Malachite, Murano, Empoli, LaFiore???????? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »
I think this may be a little further east but see what others say first ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »
Its not uncommon, im sure its been discussed on the board before, had a quick search , couldnt find it !
My poor memory thinks originally thought to be Chinese, but turned out to be Italian !

Someones memory and search tecniques may be better than mine  :P

Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
Let's hope that someone can tell me. I do hope it is Italian, but it is what it is and it's not junk. But if it is Chinese I should have paid less for it is all.

Has anyone ever successfully used image matching applications to match glass? (new thread in cafe me thinks)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
Chinese and marketed under the brandname Snowflake in a wide range of shapes and colours (search on the board). Malachite is not just a term for pressed glass but it must be green because it is named after the mineral malachite

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
Ah, this is very similar
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34541.msg187033/topicseen.html#msg187033

I have been misinformed about malachite as the website I was looking at had it in many colours - and I thought said it was mainly purple!

I have to say the decoration is very similar to Chinese water colour painting. And now I've seen more, the colours are very Chinese, especially the yellow and red. I like the fact that it's from the '70s - or at least dates back to the '70s

Personally I think this is in a different league to Dalian (?) which always looks cheap to me in gaudy colours and rushed/unskilled lamp work and cane slices all over the place.

Definitely off to research Snowflake glass and would buy more when I saw it (at the right price of course). Good is good where ever it comes from. I always buy Iittala even though it is often mass produced and resale values can be under £10. At the moment my Snowflake vase is a keeper!

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
This thread explains the confusion over malachite and slag glass quite well:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17443.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand