No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just how old is Tomato Sauce? :)  (Read 424 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Just how old is Tomato Sauce? :)
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »
Well this truly was love at first sight... this dirty little glass jug grabbed my attention straight away. Sometimes glass just does that for me, no rhyme or reason to it.

Anyway, I thought Victorian as soon as I saw it, and obviously the stopper is missing. But then I thought tomato sauce? It must have been put on later. But it seems like thick enamel/paint. And on the snapped pontil base is Made in Austria, also painted. And there is some faded gold paint on the rim.  I know it won't be worth anything, and it was only $2, but I just thought MINE as soon as I saw it :)

So any guesses on age? Maker? Was the tomato sauce added later on? And does anyone else like it? Oh and I'm about to put some metho inside to try and clean it but Im scared to touch the outside. So any suggestions for cleaning?

Thanks in advance!
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Just how old is Tomato Sauce? :)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup

The enamelling looks original to me and for the Aussie market

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
for cleaning the outside I would use a warm damp microfibre cloth and just give it a wipe over very gently.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
Thanks :) I did find an Austrian recipe book online with hundred year old recipes and one in there for Tomato Sauce! I'll keep my eye out for a stopper for it.

So it very well may be Victorian then, but no idea of maker...
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand