No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Malta Decorative Glass footed swan, fish, penguin with labels !! & others !  (Read 20162 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The MDG label I have in my sticky mitts only says "hand made" - as do the labels shown here - apart from the fishy thing - which does not.

So I'm now agreeing with the suggestion that the fish was probably made in China and sold through MDG, given MDG was funded in part by China.
Apologies for going to Taiwan rather than China for the beast - I did have a little niggle they might be Japanese......
I'm ruling out both duck and fish.

The others are grand, though!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Well spotted Sue !  :o

I didn't notice that !!! Superb ! I agree with everything !! Well done !!
Mike

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Sorry ...my friend was Boffos servitor .... none of those are by Boffo , just take a long close look at the finish and quality. imho jp

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Yes, I think you might well be right, the swan isn't up to it, but was obviously a design take on the Whitefriars design. I think the whale is really superb though (and it is so similar to the other one) it must be very difficult to make two almost identical forms unless you were a real expert . I still think the whale might be a possibility. Ta Mike
Mike

Offline scavo

• Members
I just wanted to chip in with a clarification on Taiwan and Mainland China. Since 1949 both countries use the name China. The mainland Peoples' Republic of China (PRC) and Taiwan was officially known as Republic of China (ROC).

Which did Malta do a deal with?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
The whale is spot on, here is a cousin.

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Now that whale looks like a quality piece and nice colours .  :-\

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The ROC acronym is ringing some bells as being the one involved with the Maltese Govt. in starting MDG.... but don't quote me on that!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
I have a MDG speckled whale and 2 MDG paperweights, i cant put pics up as im in Scotland.
I recently at a fair saw a tall attenuated bottle with a button top and Mdina style bottle with a big round stopper, both labelled.
As i expect you know Ex Whitefriars Vicente Boffo worked there from about 1976, here is one Boffos WF swans for comparison, very rare!! I have this one :) There are definitely similarities!
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
That would have been on Peter Elliot's stand at Cambridge.  ;D
Very nice bits.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum