No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of amber vases ID Please.  (Read 757 times)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Pair of amber vases ID Please.
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
Hello, I just picked up this small pair of amber vases on black bases, I know I've seen them somewhere else but I can't seem to find who made them. For some reason I keep thinking Czech. They are 5 inches tall (13cms) and 5 inches across the top. The bases are 1 and a half inches tall. Does anyone know who made them please.  Cheers Cheryl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pair of amber vases ID Please.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
hello Cheryl - I've looked around a bit although don't see this pattern anywhere.        Could be wrong, but I have a feeling that with those multi-sided feet, it may well be that these vases were not designed/made to sit on plinths.      These black bases are a little remeniscent of Davidson (with the projections), but I really am not sure, and may have been put with the vases some time afterwards.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:25 AM »
I think the vases are Czech. I have a green uranium one and I have said Czech without a ?, which probably means I found a marked one somewhere.

I think the plinths have too many steps to be Davidson. They're not Bagley or Jobling, which probably means they're not English, or Walther.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
The bases have been with the vases a very long time as there is a ring of wear where they have been sitting. They fit extremely well too. Cheryl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »
hello Cheryl  -  I'm sure Lustrousstone is correct and these bases are almost certainly not Davidson - probably just similar.
You may be right in saying that these plinths and vases have been together a long time  -  although wear alone isn't conclusive  of an original match  -  the vases may have sat on their own bases for a long time, and something else may well have caused the wear on the top surface of the plinths.        My comments were made because I don't recall seeing the use of a plinth by something that didn't have a round base, and they may have been chosen deliberately (later) in view of their snug fit.    Unfortuntely, we may never get to know for certain, but fingers crossed someone will have the answer. :)           

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand