No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vonpon — one for the linguists  (Read 698 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Vonpon — one for the linguists
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:47:58 AM »
I'm just about to take some photographs of a glass honey and syrup spreader and stand.   The stand is acid-marked "Foreign" on the base and the English language instruction leaflet uses a low-9 introductory double quote with a standard-6 closing double quote thus:

• „Vonpon“
  • This looks as if it might be a snappy marketing name in another language, meaning something like "EasyUse", "NoDrips", "StickyAway", "EndWaste";  or it might be a clever acronym.

My guess as to date is middle third of C20.

Any ideas?

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
      • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
      • Hamburg, Germany
      • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
    Re: Vonpon — one for the linguists
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
    Bernard, nothing that I can imagine in German language, also no corresponding trade mark found, I'm afraid.

An image of the item would be apprediated, thank you!
    Pamela
    Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
    Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
    Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
    « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
    According to my old Uni lecture notes, the style of quotation mark would indicate:

Albanian, Bulgarian, Czech, Estonian, Georgian, German, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Serbian, Slovakian, Slovenian or Wendish - and their dialects. 

So that narrows it down a bit  ;D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »
    Pamela and Chris — Grateful thanks.   It was the only way I could think of of ensuring you concentrated on the language component.

BTW I've just found my file on the 1930s Wood Bros version of Lillicrap's hone for the French market.   The instruction leaflet uses slightly different quotation marks, a low-9 introductory double quote with a standard-9 closing double quote.    The whole thing has a charming air of Franglais:

• ... le „Trebly Pressed Uranium Glass” ...
  • Obviously that was beyond the senior French teacher at Barnsley Grammar School!   ;D

Any more thoughts, anyone, before I upload pictures.

Bernard C.  8)

ps — I'm amazed that SMF 2.0 hasn't mangled these punctuation marks from the outset.   It does when you hit the Quote button.   Sad to see that it mangles some accented characters, not good on an international discussion board.

pps — and what did you study at Uni, Chris?   ???

ppps — ... and this is much more fun than discussing glass.   ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
    • Members
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »
    Bernard -
    having had formal training in punctuation rules in French (old) and French (new) and in Dutch (old, transient and new), English (all over the place), American (a blatant disregard for convention) and German (refreshingly consistent)  I can say that computers scruwed over any and all punctuation rules in all languages. The quotation mark style you mention in French is restricted to manuscript as far as I know (likewise in Dutch) , and these can only be found on ancient typewriters - not on modern keyboards. What teachers tried to inspire in you was modern style, the brave new age where these things need no longer be discussed. Did they fail big time or what.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
    « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »
    pps — and what did you study at Uni, Chris?

Modern Languages with a good chunk of politics and history (you want to know about the more obscure Latin American insurrections, I'm your man... ;D).  The notes are from the linguistics and etymology bit.

Now Ivo mentions it, my French exchange friend's grandma used to use those quotation marks in her letters, too.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »
    Close up of the mark on the base of the drip cup (stand):
    Dimensions:
  • assembled height to top of chrome lid 5½" 14cm,
  • height of drip cup (stand) 3¼" 8.2cm,
  • weight complete 1lb 1oz 483g.
  • Link to six more images, two of the instruction leaflet and four of the piece, with click image to enlarge feature:
    Further thoughts:
  • I can't help wondering what the drip cup on its own has been described as in the past.   It looks more like a half-sized porcupine stand than anything else I can think of!
  • The Reg. TM No. 582323 might reveal all.
  • The two sizes I noted above are very close to exact imperial sizes, possibly not a coincidence.
  • Was this more aimed at the catering sector than the domestic market, as it's been suggested for the Davidson / Fostoria American cube sugar?
  • Your opinions please.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand