No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opal iridescent uranium vase. Walsh Walsh?  (Read 607 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Opal iridescent uranium vase. Walsh Walsh?
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
This 6.25-in vase is uranium glass. The top has been restruck to give a graduated opal and the whole is softly iridised much the same as Walsh Walsh Sunbeam, Moonshine and Mother of Pearl. It's also finely blown lead crystal with a polished pontil mark. My best guess is Walsh Walsh. What does anyone else think please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Opal iridescent uranium vase. Walsh Walsh?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »
Think we need Bernard on this one,but as you say that soft iridescence does look like Walsh,another fine piece,where have you been shopping? ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:29 AM »
...   much the same as Walsh Walsh Sunbeam, Moonshine and Mother of Pearl.   ...

Christine — the source for Walsh mother of pearl is Leibe/Hayhurst, 1999, where it is not capitalised as you would expect if they'd sourced from original Walsh material.   My view is that they used the term in a descriptive sense only, so we all have to be careful not to upgrade the expression without proof of Walsh usage.   Certainly Leibe/Hayhurst had access to a 1929 trade catalogue, but this has to be a decade or so too late for this range.   I try not to capitalise it and would welcome correction if it's noticed that I have.

...   The top has been restruck to give a graduated opal   ...

Christine — surely none of the thin inner layer of white opal and the additional layers of canary yellow and lead crystal is heat sensitive.   So how can it have been restruck to give a changed effect?

Your vase, Christine, looks to me like uranium yellow or canary Walsh mother of pearl.   It's the first example I can recall seeing.

Leibe/Hayhurst lists just three colours, green (dark green example shown), rarest;  flint, most common;  and straw opal, most desirable and highly priced.

I've seen three colours, flint, dark green, and light green.   Yours, Christine, brings me up to four.

I've only ever knowingly seen one example of Walsh straw opal, and it's on the shelf next to me, but it's not mother of pearl.

I've over a dozen examples of mother of pearl in stock, including one each of the two greens.   Several are defining pieces, including a Vesta Venetian vase with a Vesta Venetian foot, another with an engraved reg no., and a third, a close relation of the cornucopia in Gulliver, with green seaweed decoration and three green feet.

I would like to see and handle your vase, Christine.   Are you coming to the National in May?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »
Yes, I'm coming to Birmingham. I'll add you to my list of people to talk to. I'm confident that there isn't a layer of opal glass; the "whiteness" has been created by reheating as in the brocade effect. It's regularly uneven, i.e., on the raised bits. It was made in an eight-rib mould. I think it could be described as straw opal; it's very pale. If it wasn't iridised, I'd be considering Powell.

I believe the item in the link (I can't find the picture ATM) is Walsh. Could it be described as straw opal?
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1498

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »
I'll be in Birmingham on 6 May, also. If this is indeed opalescent (containing bone ash) and not cased glass, the chilling/warming in process could be the key factor, as the striking may make something look like cased glass when it's not!
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
This marked vase is the same basic shape (though a bit taller), so I'm even more confident that my vase is Walsh
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/eastbourne-auction-rooms/catalogue-id-2862314/lot-14432260

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand