No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rolled top rims on glass vases and bowls - how difficult are they to create  (Read 1029 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've been wondering about these recently and Paul raised it in another thread.  Are these difficult to create on handblown pieces? 
I mean the kind of rim on found on say a Davidson bowl, a wide rolled turned over rim that doubles back if you like, down the walls of a vase or bowl.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Can't see why they'd be difficult to create, though it would be a skilled job; there are plenty of them about on hand blown and pressed pieces. The pressed pieces are manually shaped

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ???

I had been of the opinion that rolled over rims demand a very high level of proficiency - in individually hand made studio pieces.
I Know nothing about these rims on pressed glass.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
If you have the skill it wouldn't be difficult, but that's true of most things. Studio glass is mostly produced in small quantities, so rim rolling is probably one of the more difficult tasks but in a factory situation it's different. Type rolled rim console bowl into google images and you'll see what I mean among the rubbish

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
it's handmade handblown I'm more interested in to be honest.  I understand that many pressed glass pieces were stuck up and cupped or rolled I guess, so I suppose on that basis it may not be that difficult
I had thought they were probably quite difficult to achieve and maintain successfully in a 'studio type' situation (and I appreciate Scheider et al were not 'studio' situation per se)though, because I've searched hundreds of images searching for my large green and red flame vase, and that one that matched the decor that has the rolled rim and signed Schneider, and I've yet to come across one that has this rim.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I still think my answer stands; rolling a rim will be more or less the same however the base item is formed. If you are going to do it in a factory situation (i.e., Schneider), you don't not have a skilled person doing it and on piece rates. The question is was that style a poor seller or sold only to a particular market. You can't charge a premium for hot-glass manipulation like you can for cutting

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I don't get the question - and I don't get the answers. Can anyone please post a pic?  I have never even seen a folded rim on a pressed piece!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200681101111+&item=200681101111&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
Ivo rims like this one - rather than a 'folded' rim.
And like the rolled rims on the top of a Davidson pressed glass bowl.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I am assuming that Flying-free means the very tightly folded back trims - where the side of the vessel and the folded back rim are actually in contact - such as many of the pots by Hoglund.

Example here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIGNED-Erik-Hoglund-Boda-amber-glass-vase-Swedish-1960s-Scandinavian-kosta-/280858012201?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item4164712a29

I googles the images, Christine, but I wouldn't have described and of those as having a folded back rim, just a slightly turned-over one.

Do you remember the orange bowl with a few faint bluey inclusions we saw in Rait, with the folded over rim? - I didn't recognise it at all - but the rim did make me consider it seriously. We did disuss it for a few minutes. That's the sort of thing I think M's talking about.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
No Sue, sorry I didnt' make my question very clear perhaps - the ones you've mentioned on Hoglund piece I think of those as 'folded' rims.  I mean rolled like the link I gave above and like those found on  a Davidson cloud bowl that has the curved out top rim.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand