No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this 60s Murano or perhaps Scandinavian ?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline davem

• Members
Is this 60s Murano or perhaps Scandinavian ?
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »
Hi ,

Is this Murano ?

Measures approx 14" high with wear on the base , has a ground pontil and some stretch marks to the glass . Many thanks for any help , I've found similar Sommerso shapes but none quite the same. Dave.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/ebay2025dave/IMG_3375.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/ebay2025dave/IMG_3386.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/ebay2025dave/IMG_3382.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Is this 60s Murano or perhaps Scandinavian ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
No...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline davem

• Members
Re: Not 60s Murano or Scandinavian , any other suggestions please ?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:33:55 PM »
Thank's !

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »
Hi Davem, It is an attractive piece of glass, and appears, as you say, to have some age to it, and is well finished off with a neatened and ground pontil mark, so I can see why you might think it was Murano.

Kane, your brief answer has left me baffled....usually when one of us is positive about an attribution being incorrect, we at least explain where our doubts lay and in some cases even suggest further possible makers or avenues of research.

Davem is a relatively new member, and has in previous threads been very complimentary of our GMB, so maybe Kane, you or someone with more knowledge of glass vases than I have, would give a little more helpful direction to him?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
Hi Dave, shows how much I know 'cos I would have said yes  ;D
Chinese then could be the next option :'(

Mod: Off topic para in post edited in line with Board Policy

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 01:07:24 AM »
Dave I agree it is not likely to be Murano.  The trouble lies in the fact that many vases of this type were sold with paper labels which are removed/lost/washed off with use/etc.  There is then no way to identify the maker.  Just looking at your first photo as an inexperienced collector the makers could include Murano, Japan, Val St Lambert(Belgium), any number of Swedish makers, Whitefriars, Bohemia, etc. etc.

So most of us have specialties that we are more confident in than other areas.  Experience usually allows one to determine where a piece comes from - especially if you have seen dozens of that maker.  BUT it is easy to be fooled.  See the first photo below.  I thought it was Murano at first and then perhaps Bohemia - in fact it comes from Newcastle. NSW, Australia.

Murano became very well known for the style of thick, clear glass over;lays in then 1950s and 1960s but at the same toime lots of others were making similar things and in some cases for at least 20 years - they just were not as well known.

Most of us use the base photo and a photo of the rim to narrow the field of possibilities.  For instance a base that is flat and polished is more likely to be Murano or Bohemia but even that is not always so.  I doubt you will get a manufacturer unless someone has seen one with a label.  Experience tells you taht Stuart Crystal, Orrefors, and Kosta Boda are highly likely to be engraved or scratch marked and pieces that purport to be that without those marks are very unlikely to be what is claimed.

I suggest you take the time to look through some of the "Themed" topics shown in thew top section of the Glass screen - you will get some idea of the beadth of knowledge willing to help.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:14:33 AM »
One last point I forgot.  When you post to this board please do not post links but rather do it directly using the attach section which is below this writing part.  This is because photobucket and similar places remove photos after ma time and then the link becomes useless.  Posting it here it remains "forever".

Photos should be as close to 124.99Kb which you can achieve by resizing.  There is I believe an upper limit on dimensions of 999 in either direction.  Photos will automatically expand to proper size with a single click.  You can do this with the one I posted in the previous message.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 05:32:07 AM »
Hmmmmmm......

Do not think is Murano either IMHO....but I think I have seen something like it somewhere. 

Could it be Japanese?  As I am just thinking out loud here......?
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:35:21 AM »
It is not Whitefriars nor is it Bohemian, though it might be Czech. I don't think it's Chinese. The quality is good and it is well finished, but unfortunately hot-worked glass can be difficult to ID

Ross: Bohemia ceased to exist post World War One with the formation of Czechoslovakia. Bohemian glass is generally of the "Victorian to Edwardian" era.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
Sorry. I got frustrated after 5 mins of waiting for pics to download. Not everyones internet is fast! Posting pics to the board directly would be beneficial to us that sometime have very slow internet speeds.

You can rule out Chinese. In my opinon you can look at a Japanese maker. This style and the way red colour is styled over the clear glass leans my opinion to Japan. I see many various shapes of vases and bowls in either this red and clear glass, blue and clear glass and less common, green and clear glass here.

Daves country of origin would also be helpful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand